south African Mokes

Posts relating to the Club.
mikea

south African Mokes

Post by mikea »

According to our club Publicity Officer in his Moke Mart in feb 2019 'Moking", my SA Moke is 'distinctly dubious' and keeps turning up like an old penny, even though it has the original 1964/5 Pressed Steel body number plate on its o.s.f. inner wing. (welded, not riveted) which I doubt many 'rebuilt ' cars have.

As P>O> I find his 'light hearted' comments stupid, demeaning and frankly insulting to our marque. A SA Moke is more an English Moke than all others made after 1968, and the recent spate of over restored cars with totally new bodies are in fact kit cars and should be registered with 2019 registration plates as such, when the only original part is the chassis plate (riveted, or course).

As an owner of Mokes since 1969, I know my cars, and am confused my club has such a 'down' on SA Mokes. Other marques are being imported from SA with little to no problem, why does our club see it as one?
David Biss

Re: south African Mokes

Post by David Biss »

I have also had issues with this individual using demeaning personal comments about one of my vehicles for sale. When I complained I was told that from now on he would keep his narratives on Moke Mart to facts only. Obviously this is not the case!!
Jez

Post by Jez »

Everyone better be careful.......... in case they get 'deleted' !

Jez :D
DBL 785B
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Just to set the record straight. There is no “downer” on SA built mokes, the problem with some of them is that they have been altered, sometimes radically, over the years, then when they are imported and the owner wants to get them registered for the road expecting the registrar to wave them through.
If the vehicle does not meet the strict (and getting stricter) criteria of the DVLA then the application will be thrown out in the process of which doubt will be thrown on the clubs inspector making his/her job all the more difficult next time.
Many times I’ve seen adverts that infer that because a vehicle has its NOVA paperwork registration will be a breeze.....believe me this is not always the case
Come on summer
chris naish

Post by chris naish »

Dave Biss's wasn't an SA Moke........
Chris Naish.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

:roll:
Come on summer
Bodge

Post by Bodge »

chris naish wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 19:23 Dave Biss's wasn't an SA Moke........
When Dave had his flock of 5 Mokes, one of his Mokes was a white 1968 ex CKD from South Africa. He has since sold most of them I think. :?
Should you wish, you can always contact me at M Parts
David Biss

Post by David Biss »

Hi Bodge,
Yes I have sold three of the five including a White South African moke that I had re-registered to a "68" plate. My problem with Mr Crowe and the Moke Mart was with an English Green moke and his personal comments nearly cost me a sale. It's time to abandon the Moke Mart or keep it to actual facts only.
Dave Biss
mikea

Post by mikea »

Well, it looks like Mr Crowes remarks HAVE cost me a sale.

When the club clearly has an issue with SA Mokes (built in the UK) why do they not have an issue with Australian and Portuguese cars?

However another major issue is the current crop of completely rebuilt from all new parts cars with early registration plates, Gov.UK clearly states on vehicle registration on keeping the original plate 8 out 13 points are needed, 5 being the original body. Under kit converted vehicles it says kit converted vehicles should contain 2 original major parts along with the original unmodified monocoque body shell or chassis.

Surely that makes my SA Moke with its original Pressed Steel body number dating it prior to the BMC buyout more of a real Moke than those.....

Can we not relegate Mr Crowes bias Motor Mart to history?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

This topic has been moved to club talk as it appears to be less about mokes than about airing a perceived slight in a magazine article.
Come on summer
Bodge

Post by Bodge »

mikea wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 13:17 As an owner of Mokes since 1969, I know my cars, and am confused my club has such a 'down' on SA Mokes. Other marques are being imported from SA with little to no problem, why does our club see it as one?
The registration of all classic cars by DVLA has become far more difficult in the last few years and the process now requires far more evidence than before. But it has become especially difficult for imports from Africa.

South Africa and Zimbabwe have both become good sources of classic cars but many of them were assembled from CKD kits sent over from the UK.

A person registering a CKD import with DVLA has to prove the build date. This is not the date the kit left Longbridge, but the actual date it was assembled or registered in the country it was exported to. The concern for DVLA is the date the shipped kit of parts actually became a complete vehicle. Theoretically, as far as DVLA are concerned, this could be 10 or 20 years after the vehicle was shipped as a kit. To DVLA this would have a bearing on what date to register it as.

In South Africa and Zimbabwe, most of the historic registration records have been lost. So if there is no registration document accompanying a vehicle, DVLA will not issue an age related number even if the vehicle has a genuine chassis plate. This is because the original date of manufacture cannot be proved.

If your Moke still retains its original PSF body number, then it is likely that it was shipped as a complete car to South Africa since CKD cars used a body number of a different style. Unfortunately no record was kept by the factory of these body numbers so even if you do apply to BMIHT using this number, they won't be able to help. It is further complicated because the number that they provide on the Heritage Certificate under "Body Number" is in fact the Commission Number. In all probability, your Moke was manufactured around June or July 1965. Roger
Last edited by Bodge on Sat Feb 02, 2019 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
Bodge

Post by Bodge »

mikea wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:36 However another major issue is the current crop of completely rebuilt from all new parts cars with early registration plates, Gov.UK clearly states on vehicle registration on keeping the original plate 8 out 13 points are needed, 5 being the original body. Under kit converted vehicles it says kit converted vehicles should contain 2 original major parts along with the original unmodified monocoque body shell or chassis.
You are not quite correct about the use of replacement bodyshells for vehicle restorations. DVLA do not regard this type of restoration as "Kit Converted" but rather as "Rebuilt Vehicle". DVLA's latest advice in this category is as follows:

DVLA.jpg

This is exactly why British Motor Heritage are able to manufacture replacement bodyshells for Minis, MGBs and Midgets.

There is also a further "Reconstructed Classic" category (vehicles built up entirely from spare parts) which again has completely different criteria.

But it has all become very complicated. :cry: Roger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Club Talk”