Editing Posts

Posts specific about mokeclub.org, its features and its use.
spider
MMC Member

Editing Posts

Post by spider »

Dean & Nigel,

A few times over the past month or so, I've wanted to go back to some of my posts to add or alter them in some small way or sometimes just to correct spelling so I look like less of a git, but I've found after about 5 or 10 minutes from the initial post, the edit feature is no longer available. I'm not sure if this is just a feature of the software or a tick box elsewhere?

Can we possibly resolve this?

Chris
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Doug G
MMC Member

Re: Editing Posts

Post by Doug G »

I think it is a feature.

It stops people from altering their posts at an undetermined later date which could misconstrue the original meaning in the thread.

Best to make another post quoting the post or the post and make your adjustment there. That give others the opportunity to then see any change and respond accordingly, thus highlighting a change (a work tip?) or carrying on the 'conversation' etc.

D
Having a moking good time!
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Fair enough Doug, though other forums I've been on any such posting comes up at the bottom of the post to say it's been edited.

I'm guessing here from the silence of our Moderators it's a taboo subject for reasons unknown.
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

spider wrote:Fair enough Doug, though other forums I've been on any such posting comes up at the bottom of the post to say it's been edited.

I'm guessing here from the silence of our Moderators it's a taboo subject for reasons unknown.
No, it's not Taboo. I was waiting for Nigel to say something first as he's the "Official" Adjudicator on the why's and wherefores of forum features.
The post editing time limit was only introduced very recently and it was for exactly the reason that Doug stated in his post.
Dean
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Before I say anything else can I state for my defence that I've recently acquired a 15 year old and for the past week it's just been me and her while my daughter was away holidaying!!
Spider, I saw your post then became embroiled in a deep philosophical discussion as to why someone has to go their new school on a non uniform day when "no-one else is going in" :roll: Then I forgot about your question until reminded just now :oops:
Suffice to say, it's like Doug said. When someone goes back a week/month/year later and deletes their posts it tends to make the whole thread look odd to anyone who may be searching for information (ie wally)

Hope this helps to explain things. And yes, she IS going to Skool tomorrow
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Quite right Nigel,
It's a bit like looking for ages through the gallery for a photo that you know was there and that could help someone else with something, but eventually come to the conclusion that the whole album has been removed by the 'owner' ?
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Nigel, I' thought you were here on the forum24/7 to answer our silly questions, I'm not sure this is good enough. I wanna speak to the management :mrgreen:
I'm actually glad you have a life outside of the forum and Mokes. So, no need to explain yourself at all, though I think you also need to go back to school yourself :mrgreen:

OK, I hear you guys on what you've said on the reasons, and while I still feel like a relative newby here, I can't say I've seen any long term retrospective edits or removal of posts. I'm not sure I agree with it, but if that's the rules then I respect that.

Wally, not sure that this will help in regards to photos. For example, if you look in my galley (where ever that is?) you'll see it's empty, unless someone else has put anything in it? I use a 3rd party photo host, mainly because I am on a few forums and this makes it possible for me to share my photos easily across these without having to upload the one photo 9 times. I can also edit, change and even remove these photos if need be, with or without a post edit.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Ha, I've actually thought of something else I would have like to added in to the above post, but the edit feature has already timed out, so, another post following the last!

While I respect the decision to not allow editing of posts, I have to say, I don't agree and I'm inclined to say I don't know that it's wise.

Say this is a cooking forum, and I've started a new thread on baking a cake (god forbid!) and I make a typo on the cooking time, instead of saying "10 minutes", I write "100 minutes". It's a popular thread and there's say 2 or 3 pages of posts following. Next day, I re-read my post and see the error, but can't correct it.

I may have some options, like, make another post, but that would be on the end of page 3 and likely not read by someone just wanting the recipe without all the banter.

I may also be able to contact a forum mod to do an edit for me, but from the frustration of spending hours trying to edit my own original post (also to correct my crappy spelling) this option just doesn't occur to me or indeed a mod edit request is sent, but the mod is tied up with skool and so gets over looked.

Then, say 2 years later, a reader, who may not even be a forum member googles and finds the post on baking a cake. After getting around the odd poorly spelt word, they put their cake in the oven for 100 minutes and their oven eventually burns out (or worse).

This could well lead to a bad day for everyone, one that could easily and simply be avoided.

Without wanting to make waves here, there's also a question of post ownership as well.

<EDIT: Caught it that time!!! While this is one example of my thoughts, it is only one, there are many many more. I hear you Chris on your frustration of not being able to find someone's photo(s) or possibly forum posts / threads, however, can I say that the said photos are their property to do with as they like and while this is annoying, it could be a more fair option to allow post editing and in all fairness it should show up that a thread has been edited, in fact, I usually like to make my edits obvious, like this one, unless it's for something of little consequence, like correcting spelling. >

<2nd EDIT: Found the gallery but how does one use it or navigate it?>
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Also,

If there's a concern that a post maybe altered by editing by a subsequent poster, then quote the first post that maybe suspect that it could be edited, a 'got-ya' if you like.

Then if a latter edit does happen, the original post will still be captured and the unacknowledged edited post will be there to compare. Readers can then make up their own minds.

But,

Are we all so paranoid on this forum?

I haven't seen it nor do I 'feel' it if it's there. All members who post seem a friendly bunch.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

So now Photobucket has effectively gone the way of the do-do, how do we fix all our old posts that have photos?

There's be some huge holes here now.

While I hear your reasons for having a time limit for editing and wish to abide by the rules of the forum, I really disagree with this idea, it's really silly and verging on childish. How many really spit the dummy and want to pull their posts?

In a way, this is what's now happened in regards to Pictures and those posted via Photobucket almost be default - there's a lot of very broken threads.

Chew it over guys.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

True.

It would have been better, and Photobucket would have retained a lot of goodwill, if Photobucket had allowed the pictures already on their site to still remain to be seen and all new pictures would have to be the 'subscription' based.

I am also on a boating forum or two and there are a LOT of holes in threads.

Rather tragic.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Yes, with the amount of bucket holes I've come across in other forums it's obvious no amount of going back and editing posts will make things as they were
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Photobucket have teed me off to the max.

I don't use Photobucket any more.
Photobucket was founded in 2003 by Alex Welch and Darren Crystal and received funding from Trinity Ventures.[7][8] It was acquired by Fox Interactive Media in 2007.

In December 2009, Fox's parent company, News Corp, sold Photobucket to Seattle mobile imaging startup Ontela. Ontela then renamed itself Photobucket Inc. and continues to operate as Photobucket.[9]

In June 2010, Photobucket was named in the Lead411's Hottest Seattle Companies list.[10]

On June 28, 2017, Photobucket changed its Terms of Use regarding free accounts and third party hosting (hosting on forums, eBay, etc). Only the most expensive plan, at $399.99 per year, now permits third party hosting and linking to forums.[11]

This new business model has caused thousands of forum DIY's and write-ups with explanatory pictures to be rendered useless. About 500 words into the linked document was a declaration that free accounts would no longer permit image-linking to third-party sites. eBay and Etsy have also been affected, in addition to many forums and blogs.[12] Thousands of images promoting goods sold on Amazon and other shopping sites have been removed after the photo-sharing service changed its terms, causing a great deal of controversy. One user was quoted as saying: "The CEO of Photobucket will have trouble getting a job digging a garden after this."[citation needed]LOL

On September 13, 2017, Denver Better Business Bureau gave the company an "F" rating, the worst they issue, citing fifteen complaints related to the change in terms and no response from the company.[13]
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Does anyone here still use PhotoBucket?

Return to “Site Discuss”