Tyres

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Doug G
MMC Member

Tyres

Post by Doug G »

I have to change from 175 tyres back to 160.

The stud and nut at the rear of the chassis carved a groove into the tyre about 1/4 inches deep. :cry:
Having a moking good time!
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

What stud and nut?
175/13 is standard on most Aussie Mokes, maybe your stud and nut isn't?
Dean
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Facing the rear left wheel arch with the wheel and tyre removed it is on the right hand side and holds on a big washer (about 1.5" in diameter) just below the rear body pan base.

You can also see it from the rear and is above the chassis cross beam(?)

Seems to hold in some sort of bushing.
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

That is the rear subframe mounting. Are you saying the stud is touching the tyre sidewall? I have just checked my Moke and there is about a fingers width clearance between the tyre and stud. It sounds like this is not a tyre size issue but is something to do with the wheels you recently fitted. Where did you get the wheels from?
Also, do you have the correct brake drums fitted?
Dean.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

dean wrote:That is the rear subframe mounting. Are you saying the stud is touching the tyre sidewall? I have just checked my Moke and there is about a fingers width clearance between the tyre and stud. It sounds like this is not a tyre size issue but is something to do with the wheels you recently fitted. Where did you get the wheels from?
Also, do you have the correct brake drums fitted?
Dean.
As you suggest it is probably the wheels/rims that were fitted.
BUT, the other side is not touching. Although it is almost there.
I have the seemingly original brake drums fitted. How can I tell if they are not correct?
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Doug G wrote: I have the seemingly original brake drums fitted. How can I tell if they are not correct?
Do they look like this:

or this:

Dean
Tim

Post by Tim »

I don't know why but its really common for that bolt to be asymmetrical from side to side. On my Moke the LHS one comes quite close to the tyre, but on the right there's a lot of clearance, I've heard other people mention that too.

Doug, on your year model I think the correct drum is the intermediate spacer one, half-way between the flat faced drum in the top photo and the wide spacer one in the bottom photo.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim wrote:I don't know why but its really common for that bolt to be asymmetrical from side to side. On my Moke the LHS one comes quite close to the tyre, but on the right there's a lot of clearance, I've heard other people mention that too.

Doug, on your year model I think the correct drum is the intermediate spacer one, half-way between the flat faced drum in the top photo and the wide spacer one in the bottom photo.

Tim

I think that you are right.

BUT if I had the wider spacer hub it would probably work OK.
Tim

Post by Tim »

The wider spacer one was used on later models (Minis and Mokes) and is now the most common, hence easiest to find, replacement. You would probably need to fit matching longer wheel studs to go with them.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim wrote:The wider spacer one was used on later models (Minis and Mokes) and is now the most common, hence easiest to find, replacement. red]You would probably need to fit matching longer wheel studs to go with them[/color].

Tim
and there is the difficulty. :lol:
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Not really - If you are getting the later drums (with cast in spacer) presumably delivered from civilisation, then the studs will be available from the same place. They are a standard item.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Not really - If you are getting the later drums (with cast in spacer) presumably red]delivered from civilisation[/color], then the studs will be available from the same place. They are a standard item.
Have you any idea whatsoever what the FedEx charges* would be ?

Mind you I'd have to have them set surface mail.

* For the four brake/indicator lights the charges were over £80.00 and that is not including the 59.2 % duty etc on the CIF value. :shock:
carrie

Post by carrie »

Doug,

Looking back through your posts and the pic of your wheels the offset on your wheels is all wrong. That is what is causing the problem. The safest option is to get wheels with the correct offset. With putting spacers on there they are going to have to be pretty wide and then you will also have to increase the lenght of the studs. It is going to take a lot to push those out far enought not to hit that mounting. Another thing is you might have a knackered radius arm bearing on one side or the other.

Carrie and Phil
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

carrieandphilc wrote:Doug,

Looking back through your posts and the pic of your wheels the offset on your wheels is all wrong. That is what is causing the problem. The safest option is to get wheels with the correct offset. With putting spacers on there they are going to have to be pretty wide and then you will also have to increase the lenght of the studs. It is going to take a lot to push those out far enought not to hit that mounting. Another thing is you might have a knackered radius arm bearing on one side or the other.

Carrie and Phil
You are correct about the offset.
However I changed back from 175's to 160's and the problem has gone.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Doug G wrote:Have you any idea whatsoever what the FedEx charges* would be ?
Get over it Doug, you're a Moke owner now.

Tim

Return to “Moke Talk”