are you selling your Moke

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

are you selling your Moke

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I've just been on eBay UK and I have a question - Is that your Moke that's just come up for sale Phil ? :P
It is in your neck of the woods after all
carrie

Post by carrie »

I wouldn't own that if it was the last moke on four wheels. My God after all it is Australian. And you know how we like our English........at least ours is all there.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Hmm, even mine was in seemingly MUCH better condition than that one.
If it is this one : ber: 130080072819

I may be going under a false belief but I was led to believe that the Aussie Moke was more robust than the Mini Mokes that were made in England.

Com'n Carrie/Phil that one seems ideal for a base to put Roy's restoration guide to great use. :wink:
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Doug its not the Australian Mokes that are more robust (apart from the late galvanised ones) its the weather. Britains salty roads eat everything up.

I have just received my 47 year old Mini Traveller. It has spent its whole life in inland Australia and won't need any panels replacing (it has a couple of small holes but nothing bigger than about an inch in diameter).

Tim
carrie

Post by carrie »

Afraid we have already got one that is in much better condition to test Roy's book on.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim wrote:Doug its not the Australian Mokes that are more robust (apart from the late galvanised ones) its the weather. Britains salty roads eat everything up.

I have just received my 47 year old Mini Traveller. It has spent its whole life in inland Australia and won't need any panels replacing (it has a couple of small holes but nothing bigger than about an inch in diameter).

Tim
. . spent its whole life in . . the outback. Are you sure that the holes, nothing bigger than about an inch in diameter, are not bullet holes ?????

Seriously though it sounds like it is in very good condition, particularly for its age. :?: :wink:
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

carrieandphilc wrote:Afraid we have already got one that is in much better condition to test Roy's book on.
I am sure that that would not be too difficult. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you keep every single receipt or do you try to avoid thinking about the cost? :D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

It's not that Aussie's are more robust --- It's just they look more Robust what with the proper size wheels and decent arches when compared to the tiny English ones :)
carrie

Post by carrie »

To much paper hanging around as it is so generally no. And anyway not spent any money on it yet.
Nigel Jones

Post by Nigel Jones »

Ah.............but you can put Aussie wheels on English Mokes..........and get better ground clearance. Can you put English wheels (the real proper ones) on Aussie Mokes?...........I don't think so!

English, after all, are the originals!
After 28 years, not Mokeless any more!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Doug G wrote: . . spent its whole life in . . the outback. Are you sure that the holes, nothing bigger than about an inch in diameter, are not bullet holes ?????
Don't worry Doug, not the outback, Canberra our nations capital, famous for dry cold winters and lots of hot air.
Nigel Jones wrote: Can you put English wheels (the real proper ones) on Aussie Mokes?...........I don't think so!
Course you can, theres a 1978 Aussie moke on ebay with 10" mini wheels fitted.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Moke-1978_W ... dZViewItem

It looks pretty stupid because they still have the flared arches and the extended rear guards, but the old 10" Mini drums are still there under the 13" wheels.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

There you go Nigel :D .... Its only when you put proper brakes on 'em that you can't go back to the castors
Nigel Jones

Post by Nigel Jones »

Now Tim, it's well known that the early Aussie Mokes are really leftover English ones. Later ones with flared arches using the English drum brakes are simply still using the best engineering available to them at the time.

Then someone designed the Metro............it ruined everything!

Apart from bigger wheels, bigger engines, better seats, better hoods, galvanising, seat belts, better ground clearance, more instruments and more macho image............what did we ever get from the Aussie Mokes?

Jim Lambert's view on this is interesting............ and from someone who, after using leftover Aussie Mokes, came up with the non beach-going beach car, the Portuguese Moke!

I'll let you comment on that. :lol:
After 28 years, not Mokeless any more!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nigel Jones wrote:Apart from bigger wheels, bigger engines, better seats, better hoods, galvanising, seat belts, better ground clearance, more instruments and more macho image............what did we ever get from the Aussie Mokes?
A better range of colours?

Tim
teardrop
MMC Member

Post by teardrop »

Not forgetting the aussie go deeper in the drink,being crowned king of fords.
paul h

Return to “Moke Talk”