How to identify a Prisoner Moke?

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Avengerland

Re: How to identify a Prisoner Moke?

Post by Avengerland »

I've just noticed that whoever fitted the new wipers to "Footplate" had two goes at it - oops!

Last edited by Avengerland on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:04, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Surely those are the origional holes for the mark 1 type wiper motor ? It looks as though it's been "updated" at some time
Come on summer
Avengerland

Post by Avengerland »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Surely those are the original holes for the mark 1 type wiper motor ? It looks as though it's been "updated" at some time
The holes for the original MK1 wiper is there yes. Back in September 1966 it only had the one MK1 wiper - but now it is March 1967 and it has some new wipers fitted without blanking off the previous fitting and there are also 3 holes about 1" to the right of the new MK2 wiper motor bolts.

Another oops is the damage to the right front wing of HLT which occurred during the two weeks of filming in Portmeirion in March 1967. This indicates HLT was the only Moke that went up that time. 'Footplate' was brought into the studio to cover during HLT's absence.

Avengerland

Post by Avengerland »

Two of the Mokes are said to have had engine upgrades of some sort. Two of the Mokes start filming in Portmeirion with these black badges over the Austin badge. I am thinking that these badges were added by the engine modifier - any suggestions as to whom that might be would appreciated.

1967moke

Post by 1967moke »

I know its a big ask, but would someone be willing to write an article for the Moke mag on the Prisoner Moke and all the details?

There seems lots to write about reading these posts.

Cheers

Roy
Editor - Moking (running dry on articles)
Forest Minis

Post by Forest Minis »

Hi guys! It has been a while since I have been up here. Sorry for that, had some other stuff to do unfortunately.

A few things: About the engine upgrade; HLT has a 998 Cooper engine. About the damage; HLT does have damage to the os front wing.

And: HLT has a fitted towbar to the rear bumper, does that mean it was the one towing the trailer?

I am still searching for the former owner :( he took HLT to the Netherlands in 1975 or 76. He lived in Amsterdam for a few years and then had to move to Brasil for his work, where he was fired in 1994. this is where my trail ends...

Would anybody know where I can any paper proof where HLT was converted, kept, maintained etc?

As for the resto; Still haven't had time to start, and I first wanted to have the registration number up and running before I go restoring. But due to circomstances it has even crossed my mind to put HLT up for sale at some auction...
Avengerland

Post by Avengerland »

I have found some proof that HLT was the original prototype 'Prisoner-style' Moke made to promote the custom conversion.

Yes - HLT had a tow bar - that is one of the reasons it went on the second location shoot, it could tow the trailer around.

The damage to the wing could be why it was not returned to W & P after the filming.

'Eye Level' would not have been returned as it was not a proper W&P conversion.
Forest Minis

Post by Forest Minis »

Avengerland wrote:I have found some proof that HLT was the original prototype 'Prisoner-style' Moke made to promote the custom conversion.

Yes - HLT had a tow bar - that is one of the reasons it went on the second location shoot, it could tow the trailer around.

The damage to the wing could be why it was not returned to W & P after the filming.

'Eye Level' would not have been returned as it was not a proper W&P conversion.
Would you be willing to share that proof with me? I am still looking for all information I can get. Thanks, Oliver
Avengerland

Post by Avengerland »

The Autocar article launching the Moke conversion has been posted here:

I had no idea the original upholstery was so bad!

http://maximummini.blogspot.co.nz/2015/ ... arket.html
Forest Minis

Post by Forest Minis »

Avengerland, I sent you an email and a pm, did you receive them?
Avengerland

Post by Avengerland »

Forest Minis wrote:Avengerland, I sent you an email and a pm, did you receive them?
It turned up in my 'junk' filter - but I did reply about a week ago. Basically I have a copy of the Autocar article.

Return to “Moke Talk”