moke body number question....

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
jick

moke body number question....

Post by jick »

hi there,

i'm hoping you kind people might be able to help me out!

my Father-in-law has had a Moke in dehumidified/heated storage for about 20 years, it is seemingly unregistered.
i'm in the process of getting it MOT'd so we can register it.

On the drivers (RHD) side inner front wing, in the engine bay there is a body number AMB 0006741,
does that sound right? can we figure out it's year/origin from that?

The car is at the garage as we speak, but i'll pop down later and take a few photo's.....i'd really like to hear the experts thoughts on whether it looks "correct" i know nothing about Mokes, but a couple of things about it didnt look quite right to me.....im guessing though, (traditional hotrods are my thing!)

many thanks....James
Bodge

Re: moke body number question....

Post by Bodge »

Hi James

Welcome to the forum. Your Father-in-law's Moke sounds very exciting.

There are a number of different types of Moke which all have subtle differences depending on where they were manufactured. The body number doesn't look quite right for an English Moke but there are usually a couple of other plates in the engine bay that could help identify it. There should be a chassis plate on the radiator side of the engine or on the bulkhead - different models have them in different places.

I would suggest posting some photographs that will help identify what type of Moke it is and we can then take it from there. Roger
Gijzzy

Post by Gijzzy »

The only number starting with three letters is the chassis number (as far as I know). But isn't (normal) located on the right side of the car, but as mentioned on the radiator side (English) of the engineor on the bulkhead (Australian, Portuguese, Cagiva).Are you sure is it AMB? Or could it be MAB?
In that case is will be a English moke from '64 till '69 (It stands for: Morris, A-type engine, Buckboard (Moke) ).
On the right hand side should be the commission number (English moke) on a commission number plate but should like: A15B****** . A picture would help! But on the mokeclub website there is a model indicator as well: Link and go to ' Moke?? '.

Edit:
Picture taken from: "Mechanical service parts list Austin and Morris Mini Moke" according to Body Shell number:

Not clear (to me) if it could be 'AMB' or it has to be 'AB' OR 'MB'. This is the body number and IS on the right hand side as you described. But the body number is not recorded by British Motor Heritage, so hoping on other numbers in the car (maybe the complete engine number starting with 8AC?)
swemoke
MMC Member

Post by swemoke »

Gijzzy wrote:But the body number is not recorded by British Motor Heritage
I have the body number on my certificate 8)

James, HERE is my topic about body number so you can see how the plate looks.

//Thomas
Gijzzy

Post by Gijzzy »

swemoke wrote:I have the body number on my certificate 8)
:cry: I haven't (Date of Despatch: 6 January 1966)
Think I will contact Mark as wel :wink: .
swemoke
MMC Member

Post by swemoke »

My car have date despatched 14 Dec 1967.
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Gijzzy wrote:But the body number is not recorded by British Motor Heritage, so hoping on other numbers in the car (maybe the complete engine number starting with 8AC?)
BMIHT can trace a car by it's body number only but extra cost (above the standard trace certificate charge) may be involved.

James has now sent me some photos and they show a very tidy looking genuine English Mini Moke (possibly Mk2) in white :)
Dean
jick

Post by jick »

Sorry for the delay...thank-you everyone for your assistance.

Thomas, i had a look at your link, my number/plate doesnt look like that one at all.
i'll get a photo of mine one here later.

in the meantime here are some shots of the moke in question, i'd be very interested to hear your thoughts in regards to whether it looks like the genuine article?

many thanks....James

Tim

Post by Tim »

It definitely looks like the genuine article to me, but why does the firewall look to be all ripply? It looks like it has had a major accident at some time which could be a clue to its odd identity.
Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
jick

Post by jick »

hi there....Tim, you have answered a question that i had in mind!

The firewall was one of the thing's that i thought looked odd, it is indeed very ripply....because i've never looked closely at another one i wasn't sure if that was normal.

cheers....James
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Mine looks like that too !! Just the excellent build quality :D I'm not sure about the rubber round the engine bay tho' You can get the proper cloth tape that stops the bonnet rubbing (and bonnet hinge rubbers) from Mark Peacock at a very reasonable price.

And bumper bungs
Come on summer
Gijzzy

Post by Gijzzy »

Looks like a nice MK II (Indicator stalk, two wipers and white color) , except of the bonnet hinge location, that looks MK I .
kenbutterfield

Post by kenbutterfield »

That is a genuine Mini Moke 8) ....ken
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:...Mine looks like that too !! Just the excellent build quality :D...
Really? Isn't yours an Aussie? Mine is nice and flat. Perhaps they exported the bent ones to the UK (in revenge for all those terrible convicts the UK sent to us).

If you look at the 3rd photo of James' the lower windscreen support (the top of the firewall) is quite wobbly and in the 4th one the edge of the wing, where it starts to angle down is a bit out of alignment too. However the grille is nice and straight. I reckon its had a major hit at some stage and has a new front panel. It would all hammer out though I'd expect.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Gijzzy wrote:Looks like a nice MK II (Indicator stalk, two wipers and white color) , except of the bonnet hinge location, that looks MK I .
I would have to agree exept the wiper motor looks a bit different than mine.....
And, from the last couple of pictures, it looks likey he's sorting some sort of electrical problem.... which make is look even more like a MK11 English Moke. :roll:
So, Gijzzy, what's the difference between a MK1 & a MK11 Moke's bonnet hinges???
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.

Return to “Moke Talk”