Moking on the Sand Dunes

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
spider
MMC Member

Moking on the Sand Dunes

Post by spider »

How well would you think your Moke would do on Sand Dunes?

I've encountered sand dunes before however nothing 'serious' only usually around the 3 - 4 metre size and probably the biggest I'd previously managed was about 8 maybe 10 metres, a lot of fun.

Well, today was rather special. I am actually away on another outback adventure, which is drawing to a finish in the next few days, however, were I am presently is on the edge of the Simpson Desert, which for our Non-Australian readers, the largest Sand Ridge Desert in the world. The attraction of this was - of course - just too great to pass by without at least a 'look' and maybe a play. There's a bit of info here on the Simpson;-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson_Desert

The first Dune is actually the Biggest Dune of the Desert, so big it has it's own Name - Big Red, it's 40 metres high! Today, it was conquered for the first time ever in a Moke, and I will say with some pride, my Moke - twice! Completely unaided, still with all my camping gear, spares etc and 125 litres of fuel on board;-

I am aware that there have been various attempts at doing this since the 70's and as far as I am aware, this is the first time it's been done. Even 4WD can have trouble trying this.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Tim

Re: Moking on the Sand Dunes

Post by Tim »

Good work Spider! I wouldn't even try it! I got bogged on beach once.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Thanks for the kind comment Tim :)

We did get a second Moke up there, and for an 1100 engine powered Moke, did very very well indeed, Ian got within about 8 metres of the top, a bit of a push and he was there, though he was trying it with no gear on board, I think it was about his 3rd or 4th attempt, damn good effort in my books.

Tim wrote: I got bogged on beach once.

Tim
The embarrassing part of this story is that I did get bogged at the bottom when leaving! I had pumped the tyres back up by then, well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to that!
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Hi Chris, top job mate! Tyre pressures, or lack of pressure, playing a key part but not everything to your triumph.
It's amazing where you can actually get with 2WD once you've figured out technique and spec.
As well you know, one of my arguments AGAINST building a 4WD Moke is who do you take with you? If you've got such an advantage over other Mokes, who's going to be with you in remote swamps, super dunes etc.? No one, they will have fallen behind. Best make two each then!!!
Glad you've conquered another Moking mountain, will be looking out to see the rest of the adventure.

Cheers,
Roger
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Hey 4X,

Thanks for the kind comments mate :)

Yes, exactly what you have said has also been on my mind regarding a 4WD Moke and being that, you'll want to go just that bit further afield where other Mokes my not venture, so it can put one between a rock and a hard place so to speak. Also, while away, the rest of the group would look to the 4WD for assistance, which may not help for the longevity of it. I'll still do a 4WD myself, not only for the end product, but the technical challenge of building it.

As many miles that I have done Moking and in to some weird off beat places, over the past 30 odd years, it still never ceases to amaze me just what a Moke can do. Best car ever made in my books.
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Spider,
There we have it I'm afraid. Conclusive proof that we are indeed both, completely, and utterly, STUPID !

Onwards and upwards with the 4WD projects.
Mine officially starts this weekend......... (Don't hold your breathe, phase 1 is to get it down from the pallet racking and stare at it!!!)

Enjoy the fun in the sand, can we please have a link to your travel review?

Cheers,
Roger
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

4X, I know that you have been tinkering away at your 4WD - at least in your head - for some time now, and that's usually the bigger, but always under-rated part of the job! I do have to confess that I've probably been brain tinkering with my own way too long and time I did get moving with it, however, there in lies the problem for me - time! There is nothing else stopping me!

I'm sure you'll run a thread and I for one will be looking on with considerable interest.

Yes, I will provide a link to the 'travel review' once I've done it, I'm just awaiting photos from all those who participated, funny, I seem to have plenty of time to do that!

In the mean time, here's a link to the BIG RED attempt, with a link to a video of it;-

http://mokespider.wix.com/spiders-moke- ... -red/c1q13
Last edited by spider on Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:56, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Post by Tim »

:D
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Excellent. Envy from this corner of the world. :D
Having a moking good time!
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

4XMOKE wrote:Spider,

Enjoy the fun in the sand, can we please have a link to your travel review?

Cheers,
Roger
Well. it's taken a little while, but here you go. Enjoy (but best viewed on a desk top type screen);-

http://mokespider.wix.com/spiders-moke- ... -2014/cyju
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Recently I was out in the Desert yet again, only this time and for my first ever time, in a 4WD, no it's OK, I'm not turning to the 'Dark Side' and please, don't beat me! The guys I went with on this trip are in fact ex-Moke Club Presidents - ha actually we were all Presidents at one time - does that make this a Presidential Trip?

Anyway, the point of this post that while it took 2 goes in the Moke to get up Big Red, it took 3 goes in the Turbo Diesel 4WD and even then, it really was touch and go.

Seriously, I found it much easier in the Moke.

Stay tuned.
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Spider,
So that'd be the Presidential-diplomatic-immunity-dune-basher's flag on the front then? !

Glad to hear that heavy 4WD Utes aren't as good as Mokes in the sands of the deserts.

I can't imagine why you keep going to such desolate places!

Roger G
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Hey Roger!

Yeah, I think you're close on the flag but I dunno about the 'diplomatic' bit.

Can imagine why we keep going to these 'desolate' places?

Well then, that does it! You'll HAVE to come out here and see for yourself ;)
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Spider,
I hung back from commenting further on this for reasons obvious to you.

It was just over a year previous to this that you made your invitation to me to join you in the deserts and see for myself just how desolate it was, and just what Mokes are really capable of in extreme conditions.
I'm truly thankful (at this point at least) for that opportunity and I really hope you made the right decision to include me.

51 days to Pom launch.
See you all soon. Unless you leave a day early to avoid me ! (Typical dirty Ausy trick.....)

Roger G

Return to “Moke Talk”