trip around europe

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
garry clayton

trip around europe

Post by garry clayton »

Hello
I wanted to share and ask about a trip that I will be making around Europe. We aim to go by ferry to the hook of Holland then drive down to Spa and Nurburg ring taking in a couple of laps. Then we will weave our way down to the Stelvio pass and hopefully to lake como. We will then come back up via the East side of France and back to the hook of Holland. This will be the first time we have taken the moke outside of the UK and by far the longest trip by road that we will have done in any vehicle.

So has anyone got any tips for places to visit things to do and things that maybe useful to take with?

Oh and I'm very excited to be lucky enough that I am able to do this.
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: trip around europe

Post by grantourer »

Hi Garry. How about IMMM 2015 Switzerland. Lots of Mokes and good fun, with a couple of runs in the Swiss countryside. Good recovery insurance is a must, plus basic spares, points fan belt possibly a front and rear wheel bearing. Plus a good tool kit.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
garry clayton

Post by garry clayton »

Hi
The engine and gearbox have just been rebuilt and are in the engine bay waiting to be plumbed in this weekend. Wheel bearings, I hadn't thought about that. I will be taking a good tool, kit CV joint , fuses and consumables. IMMM is something that I didn't realise was on and now we are trying to make it to a wedding in Krakow Poland the weekend before. So got some planning to do!
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Why not take lots of photographs and a notebook (paper or digital style) and compose a two page (or series of) article for 'Moking' on your return. :D
Having a moking good time!
Weske
MMC Member

Post by Weske »

When are you do your trip ? Maybe i can make some time to make a tour in North Belgium :wink:
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Sounds AWESOME, I love a road trip!

(and even an off road trip!!)
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Or even a banana skin trip :D
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Take an imperial socket set, a good wheel brace, spare wheel nuts oh and a 1/2" spanner
Having a moking good time!
garry clayton

Post by garry clayton »

Weske
That would be great need to do some planning as we have a wedding in Poland (Krakow) 22nd August and a wedding on the 12th September in England. Also a road trip and a wedding cake to make! for the 12th.
Easy!
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

garry clayton wrote:Hi
The engine and gearbox have just been rebuilt and are in the engine bay waiting to be plumbed in this weekend. Wheel bearings, I hadn't thought about that. I will be taking a good tool, kit CV joint , fuses and consumables. IMMM is something that I didn't realise was on and now we are trying to make it to a wedding in Krakow Poland the weekend before. So got some planning to do!
Krakow to Switzerland is approximately 900 miles so leave Krakow Monday and do 225 miles a day, and you will be in Switzerland for the start of IMMM 2015. No problem, but then I am not the right person to ask about journey's in Europe. For work I have done 900 miles in one very long day!!!!!!!!!!! before working time etc. Before anybody asks.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Daniel
MMC Member

Post by Daniel »

Hi Garry,

there are a lot of nice places in Austria or Southern Germany which you are passing from Poland to Switzerland. It belongs to what you prefer (cities like Vienna / Munich / Salzburg or more the rural areas with mountains...).
The area of Berchtesgaden with the "Lake Königsee" is very nice. Also "Lake Bodensee" is interesting (either the German or Swiss side). You can stay around Kempten and also visit the famous castle "Neuschwanstein" and the mountain area.
And not to forget my home "The Blackforest" with a lot of lovely farmhouses and fantastic small roads. 8)

Daniel
The Moke model car overview: http://www.mokemodels.com

Return to “Moke Talk”