Breakdown and quick fix

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Doug G
MMC Member

Breakdown and quick fix

Post by Doug G »

On Saturday I was heading down the South East peninsula.
While heading up a steep hill the engine started racing, then it reduced to an idle.
The accelerator was unresponsive.
The accelerator cable had broken (rusted through) at the pedal end. Darn and tarnation. :lol:

Fortunately I was heading to my boat.
Out of the boat bag, came a fishing lure with a 80lb test wire leader.
Out came the Leatherman™ and a suitable length cut.
A bit of finagling and 10 minutes later I was off and running again. :D

Yes, I shall get a replacement ASAP.

So what was your best 'quick fix' ?
Having a moking good time!
Doug G
MMC Member

Re: Breakdown and quick fix

Post by Doug G »

I have been looking for a replacement at Mini Spares and Mini Sport. There seem to be a myriad of choices.

I just want a simple cable with a crimped on blob like this

at the pedal end and it is held by a nut & washer at the other end of the linkage. Kind of like this

Image.

I could get a length of steel cable and fashion it myself. :shock:

Can anyone help with some advice on the real Mckoy?

Will try an post a picture or two. :D
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... M7914.aspx
Or just search Google for NAM7914
Dean
Tim

Post by Tim »

Why not just make a new inner for your existing cable? They are a really simple cable and should never have very much force on them, as long as the inner slides smoothly through the existing outer you'll be right.

Failing that, it might be cheaper to to get one made locally, using your broken one as a model. The absolute bees knees is a type of motorbike cable that has the inner coated in a smooth plastic sheath that slips through the outer really nicely.

My first Moke had been fitted with twin carbs and dodgy throttle cable off a motorbike or something and it used to break all the time. To get home, I'd just wind up the idle speed on the carby and drive home at that speed. You'd have to switch the ignition off and on repeatedly to keep it from revving its head off at the traffic lights. I think the reason it used to break was that the throttle pedal stop was missing, so you could press the pedal harder than you should have been able.

In the end I replaced it all with a single carb and standard cable and solved all the problems.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Minispares list a nylon lined version (C-AHT85) for around £5 - £6 that's what I usually go for, it's not worth the faffing about making your own at that price!
Mind you, unless you get one of your smuggling ring to bring it in it'll be about £500 by the time it gets to you :shock:
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Its the £495 postage that made me suggest repairing rather than replacing, but those nylon ones look good at that price.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Here's the same thing with FREE shipping to St Kitts and Nevis.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Car-Nyl ... 6#shpCntId

So only the 5000% import duty to pay.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Minispares list a nylon lined version (C-AHT85) for around £5 - £6 that's what I usually go for, it's not worth the faffing about making your own at that price!
Mind you, unless you get one of your smuggling ring to bring it in it'll be about £500 by the time it gets to you :shock:
:lol: :D :lol:
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

All fixed now. :D

Purchased a length of 1/16" wire cable, a bit of electrical connector - cut off one segment.
so the end is now held by two screws.

The other end at the carb was reused.

The cable was well greased and fitted well into the sleeve.

Return to “Moke Talk”