Memorable Moke times

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
garry clayton

Re: Memorable Moke times

Post by garry clayton »

Reading this thread got me thinking of several fantastic trips and events that I have been on.
The first time I got to drive my Moke was probably the most excited I have been about getting in a car.
The worst thing that has happened in Moke ownership has to be the drive to go and collect it. I had an 850 mile round trip with the father in law who I do get on with really well it was the longest trip of my life, well it felt like it to me. I just couldn't wait to get my hands on it and that was killing me. We finally got back to my house to find my wife who at the time was my girlfriend and a dozen girls laying around the house asleep after a lot of drink with the front door wide open at 01:00 am with her Dad. when everyone had woken up the following AFTERNOON I got the thumbs up.

The first moke club trip I went on was a green laneing trip in Norfolk Pentney park. It had it all a fantastic group of people, camping, great weather,food and drink (lots of drink!)and a great drive out. I'm not sure if it was good or bad but very enjoyable 5 fords attempted stalled in 4 nearly floated away in the first one! followed quickly by a second that I did make it through only to break down 30 yards up the road. I found out my Moke was highly allergic to water!!! The bit that I wasn't expecting was also breaking the damper pin in the rear trailing arm whilst 120 mile away from home!!! Moke club to the rescue and a couple of very large cable ties saw us home. but the most memorable part was the award that we received for spirit of the event, it made both me and my wife feel very welcome indeed and have been on several other trips and events since.
alpinemoke

Post by alpinemoke »

Good to see halfpint on the forum, I have known spider & 1/2 pint for a long time.

It will be good to see both of them again, just waiting for my left knee to heal.

I had a full knee replacement a month ago, not able to drive the moke yet

two weeks to go. walking again without a stick

See you both in winter for another drive in the snow
bnicho

Post by bnicho »

Another Aussie checking in.

Another "Where do I start?" comment.

I recall as a child seeing Mokes running around Sydney but I never seriously considered one. My Moke was purchased by accident.

In the very early days of eBay I purchased a Morris 1100S sight unseen for $410. My intention was to raid it's 1275 engine for a Mini. Having neither a suitable tow car or a car trailer I recruited Mini and Moke owning mate PVA to tow the 1100S home for me.

The 1100S turned out to be a pearler! Not perfect by any means, but way too good to wreck. PVA was jumping around like a loony about how good it was and he wanted it.

A couple of months later I was over at PVA's place and he floated the idea of a deal involving swapping a Moke shell and a bunch of Moke bits plus a 1275 engine for my Morris 1100S. This would have been in 2002 I think? I'd never ridden in a Moke before so PVA took me for a spin in his. I was sold!!

I had a rusty Mini Clubman with Hydro lying around with good mechanicals and the original plan was to slap the Clubman subframes in and have it running in a few months. Like most projects it snowballed and I quickly learned how many parts were not idential. I gave up on the idea of a Hydrolastic Moke pretty early too. In the end the only parts I used from the Clubman was the steering column, wiring harness and a few bits and pieces. Through an incredible stroke of luck another mate found me a cheap 1275 A+ Automatic. Combined with a Mini Automatic front subframe I had an Auto Moke. I scrimped where I could and scrounged eBay and swap meets for bits. With Moke Muster 2006 looming I finished the Moke in a hurry, painting it myself.

The very first journey in the Moke was around the corner to the local park with the dogs. The dogs loved it. My wife released the chain a bit too early as we entered the carpark and my dog Cooper launched himself over the side at about 10-15kph. He tore a ligament in his hind leg and I had to make an emerency dash to the VET. This was despite lacking such legal requirements as insurance or registration. ;)

The Moke was trailered to Shepparton (I now owned a 4x4 and trailer) for Moke Muster 2006 and was paraded with 150 others. On the second day a mate Watto asked if he could try my Auto Moke on the offroad course. "Don't break it!" I told him. 500 metres later it stopped. He hadn't broken it, it had run out of fuel. Anyone how knows Watto will know he is ALWAYS running out of fuel, so this was hilarious! I made heaps of new friends on that week and felt welcomed into the Moke fold.

One time I had to do some work in the office on a weekend and decided to take the Moke. The task went very late and I ended leaving 1am Sunday morning. I encountered a VERY DRUNK guy who mistook my yellow Moke for a Taxi and tried to climb in. I had to shove him out and run a red light to get away.

I do an annual "Men and Boys" Camping Trip with my son and some mates from Church. My Moke is usually pretty reliable but of the four camps I have taken it on, it has broken down in some way on all of them! The first year a stick jammed in the kickdown lever on a water crossing resulting in a 4000rpm idle and a close encounter with a tree. The next year the battery decided to drop a plate in the bush without warning. The next year it overheated. The most recent trip it broke a CV joint when I was thrashing it through a big puddle. The last one was hard to swallow as the Moke has already proved itself by going all the places the 4x4 buys said it wouldn't make it.

In between there has been numerous trips down the Great Ocean Road, up bush tracks and on car club trips. I have a favourite route down backroads from my house in SW Melbourne to Ballarat which I take the Moke down whenever I need to clear my head. Deserted dirt roads, clear skies, the smell of the bush. I love the way you sit ON a Moke rather than IN it. Somehow it makes me feel more a part of the landscape rather than an observer. Especially at night when you can drive along with millions of stars at all angles.

I've now converted my Moke back to 1275 manual and set it up for touring and offroading with twin tanks and other mods. I will never sell my Moke and I hope there will be many more memories to come.
"Sell you my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!"
Mopoke - 1971 Aussie Big Wheeler Moke with 1275 A+ powah.
Plus classic Minis and a Beetle just to mix things up a bit.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Great story there Garry, nothing like a Moke as an Ice Breaker (though doesn't sound like there was much ice to break) and come on,,,, how could the girls do anything but give the thumbs up??? Really,,,,,,,,

Alpine, great to catch up the other evening, sounds like you'll be back in the saddle in no time.

bnicho wrote:Another Aussie checking in.

,,,,,,On the second day a mate Watto asked if he could try my Auto Moke on the offroad course. "Don't break it!" I told him. 500 metres later it stopped. He hadn't broken it, it had run out of fuel. Anyone how knows Watto will know he is ALWAYS running out of fuel, so this was hilarious!
Hilarious? Mmmm,,,,, maybe,,,, I'd actually say 'typical'.

For our UK and other readers who may not know what a 'Watto' is, well, Watto is actually an Aboriginal Name, it dates back probably around 35 000 years I've been told. When translated to English, it means 'One Without Hope' - or probably a more modern way of saying it would be 'Hopeless'. I'll relay a short story that Alpine only reminded me of a couple of years back, in the same 'vein' as Brett's tale;-

Back in 1990 Watto was in Sydney (he's a wet back) and he had gotten in touch with Alpine. Alpine asked Watto if he'd like to met up with Alpine and then come out to Spider's place 'He's got a Video you HAVE to see'. I don't quite recall where Watto was staying (probably Kings Cross) however he had to come through the City then over the Harbour Bridge. So, where did he run out of Petrol?

No guesses needed,,,,,,,,,,,

There's a fine for doing that these days,,,,,,,, one I'm sure he could talk his way out of,,,,,,,

bnicho, I will from now on look at you in a considerably different light since you've admitted here that Watto is a mate. That's normally the sort of thing that one would keep to themselves and can even get one arrested!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the tales guys,,,,,, keep 'em coming
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
bnicho

Post by bnicho »

I have to keep calling Watto a mate Spider. Otherwise I may get out of the Shitbox Rally Mini somewhere on the Birdsville track and he will just drive off. :)

About a year ago I had a phone call in the middle of dinner. Watto had run out of fuel on the freeway about 5km from my place in the Rally Mini. His excuse "In my Mini I have 50km from the empty mark before it runs out. This one ran out exactly on empty!"

Another time I was with him in his Mini and he looked down at the speedo and said "That's funny, we should have run out of fuel by now." At that EXACT second the Mini spluttered to a halt.

The guy is certifiable, but I guess I am too because I'm headed off into the desert with him again in a couple of weeks.... :o
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

So his name doesn't come from when (if) he looks at the fuel gauge and says "what? Oh!" :lol:
Come on summer
bnicho

Post by bnicho »

No, it comes from his surname. Watson. :)
melbournerob

Post by melbournerob »

So the Aussies are all here! Halfpint, Spider, bnicho, Alpine - greetings guys!

As one of the Mokin Downunder tourists I have to support the sentiments with regard to the Tasmania trip - that's great Moking country with the friendliest locals you could meet - well worth a trip and certainly a source of good Moking memories.

Let me tempt you.....

and a little more....

Rob
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Hey Rob!

Thanks for the pics. It did look a nice outing for sure and as I mentioned in another thread (somewhere on here!) Tassy is a magic place, there are only great places, better places and the best places.

I've little doubt that this will be a life long memorable moke time for you.
melbournerob wrote:So the Aussies are all here! Halfpint, Spider, bnicho, Alpine - greetings guys!
Mavro, Dean and of course Tim are also here ;)
Halfpint

Post by Halfpint »

Hi,
Thanks for the pics Rob :D
A few more pics.

This is my Moke and Trailer looking back towards St Helens. Beautiful view, and the Countryside was nice as well :D :D

Was a great tour, covered a lot of nice places and really only just skimmed the surface.
Cheers
Halfpint
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Not Jealous.
Not Jealous at all.

Well,
Not much.

Some maybe.

Roger G
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

bnicho wrote:I have to keep calling Watto a mate Spider. Otherwise I may get out of the Shitbox Rally Mini somewhere on the Birdsville track and he will just drive off. :)
Yes, you are right, he wouldn't bat an eye lid at driving off and leaving you out there (The middle of the Birdsville Track is about 200 miles / 350 km from anywhere and anything), but I also guarantee, he'd just keep on talking, never mind there's no one to listen,,,,,

Return to “Moke Talk”