Mk1 versus Mk2

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
kingfisher

Mk1 versus Mk2

Post by kingfisher »

Morning Team
English Mokes....
Could you please tell me what are the basic differences, or upgrades fitted to the Mk2?
Thanks in anticipation
Jim
Dean
MMC Member

Re: Mk1 versus Mk2

Post by Dean »

Hi Jim,
The main differences you will notice is the Mk2 gained the standard Mini twin wiper set-up of the era (rather than the Landrover type motor and single arm on the Mk1). They also changed the indicator switch/horn push in line with the Mini Mk2 changes (indicator, high beam, horn on the one stalk. Mk1 had the horn push on the steering wheel and high beam on a floor switch).
BMC didn't actually use the MK2 identifier on Mokes as they did on the rest of the Mini range. The Mk2 status is informally used to describe a later UK Moke with the Mk2 bits fitted.
I'm no expert though and I'm sure others will expand on this subject.
Dean
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Jim,
from Roy's book, additional differences are identified as follows:-
Turning circle reduced to 28 feet from 32 by increasing teeth on pinion to 25 from 15.
Steering arms redesigned to bring track rod ends closer to the hubs.
Brake wheel cylinders with increased bores to lighten brake action.
Plastic cooling fan replaced the 16 blade steel one.
From Sept '68 4 speed syncro box introduced with 22G 1128 stamped on casing and engine no. had WE in prefix.
Speedo redesigned with 5 warning lamps, green indicator at top, red ignition at bottom right, blue high beam bottom left, orange for oil pressure and filter at 3 and 9 o'clock.
From Oct 68 larger chock cable with 4 blade fan emblem fitted.
Austin and Morris tin badges on front replaced by vinyl.
Old English white replaced by Snowberry white with dark silver wheels.
During the cross over from Mk1 to Mk2 there would have been cars made with various features from both marks.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

"...During the cross over from Mk1 to Mk2 there would have been cars made with various features from both marks..."
Yeah, I think they built the things with whatever was at hand. My October 18th 1967 Moke was painted Old English White and had the metal fan. (I've since replaced it with the plastic one)
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Also over the years bits get replaced and new bits could be mk1 or 2.
My Nov. '65 Mk1 has a later type speedo but the green indicator light is not connected, colour is Old English White (it was originally Spruce Green), I also have the old indicator stalk with the green light on the end but it's on the left side as it was an American export LHD version. I've got the one wiper and the dip switch on the floor.

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Rivet counters! :lol:

Glad to see the book is being put to good use though. If your profile name doesn't show up in blue it means you have either not asked to be identified as a Moke Club member, or you are not a member :cry: . If the latter..... hurry up and order your book from the club store!!! If you haven't already done so :D - and then... why not join the club anyway 8)
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Schizoid Moke

Post by Schizoid Moke »

Mine's had so many modifications over the years, I wouldn't know where to start - although one indicator of its age, apart from the registration number, is the floor mounted dip switch

Return to “Moke Talk”