What's your Moke to you?

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
spider
MMC Member

What's your Moke to you?

Post by spider »

Just thinking (that's dangerous!) and wondering;-

What's your Moke to you ?

What drew you to them in the first place ?

Has that initial attraction changed (for better, worse or just different) ?
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: What's your Moke to you?

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Spider,
My Moke is just a whole load of fun! and has been since I bought it just over 3 years ago.
I bought it because I had some spare cash, savings interest rates were and are pants (managed to pursued the 'boss' that it would be a good investment!) and because I'd fancied one. My first car back in 1969 had been a '65 mini van so I was experienced in the ways of the mini (why oh why did I see it?).
It is just a pleasure to drive, work on, look at and to see the reaction of people who see it! Its great at shows to let kids sit in it and hold the steering wheel (most classic car owners definitely do not like to let them touch!).
Feelings about it are still the same but I've only had it for three and a half years, being a child of the sixties (I was 13 when mine was built) it is definitely a car from my time, the sixties were something else!

Cheers

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Well, for me it is obvious. He was so proud of "Barb," that we would probably kick ourselves if we got rid of it. At this time I have yet to ever drive it. But, I am sure it will make me smile and Marshall giggle keeping the legacy going. (I hope this is an active to thread to see all of your answers too.)
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

First drove a Moke in the mid 60's, on private land and wanted one ever since, had 2 so far. Just would not know be without it. Even though I bought as a fully restored Moke, then discovered I had to restore it all over again. But love it all the same.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
chris naish

Post by chris naish »

Well, I started breaking mini's in a mini only scrapyard in 1973, and the odd Moke turned up, and never scrapped, it was always grabbed by someone, they were regarded as useless for spares...no doors etc, and a low compression 850 to boot made them quite undesirable for dismantling! I got the bug driving them then.....I was 12!
Time moved on, a Jensen Interceptor came..and went...but the Moke was never far away. I had the opportunity of buying the English one I have today just after I'd moved into my house....the kitchen had to wait a bit longer..that was 29 years ago, and the fun, smiles, and laughter generated by this little bit of our motoring heritage continues ...and long may it!!!
Chris Naish.
Jez

Post by Jez »

In 1979 my first car was a Mini Traveller TGU 210 F. The guy I bought from wanted the money to 'do up his Moke' ! That was it, I was sold. 17 year later, 1996 I found my first Moke in a local barn (with animals living in it) and 1500 quid later ECD 336 C was mine ! Many more hours and pounds later she was on the road and I joined the only motoring club of note !

In 2000 a new addition to my family and a potiless budget I had no choice but to part with my beloved Moke, albeit to a couple from Chelsea for a handsome figure, this did nothing to quell the pain I felt as I watched it disappear at the end of my road.

In 2008 I found DBL 785 B and for 3 grand and a bit of insurance I drove her as seen from the Midlands to my home on the south coast. Many many many more hours and pounds have rewarded me with infinite pleasure in both driving and maintaining her as well as all the many Club friends, people and other motorists that have waved and toothed !

What is my Moke to me ? EVERYTHING

Kind regards all

Jez. DBL 785 B
TimoS

Post by TimoS »

Hi !
Had first Mini 1969 and my first experience with Moke was in Madeira. We rented Moke for 3 days and wanted one. Next monday call to Germany and I bought Moke 1989 without seeing it. Drove with trailer from Finland to Germany and here we are ! Still only 30 000 km, even IMM England, Hungary and Lithuania. And like everywhere els allways people asking " Dit it yuorself/golfcart etc" :-)

Its nice to be different !
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi,
My first car was an ex Gas Board Mini Van I bought for £100 in 1969 when I was just 17!
Which came in 'Gas Board' brown, so I resprayed it in gold hammerite paint with a black roof and bonnet, I had to do the roof outside as Dad's garage wasn't tall enough and as it was sunny and hot the roof dried very quickly with a strange finish!
Wish I still had it, it would go well with the Moke, but it was sold to enable me to buy a Mk3 Austin Healey Sprite - wish I'd kept that as well!

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
swemoke
MMC Member

Post by swemoke »

Hello,
I I bought my first Mini 1982 and I saw a Mini Moke for the first time at IMM 1987 and decide directly that such car I shall have :twisted:
And 1992 I finally bought my Moke...

//Thomas
Smiffys got a moke

Post by Smiffys got a moke »

I have 4 other minis , but for the last 10 years have wanted a moke. Saw the pre -production one at NEC also had a chat with moke owners on their stand, finally I am now the proud owner of a 1964 moke. It will be for fun and an investment.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Some great stories there guys, thanks - and for the 'lurkers' - let's hear your story too!

Forgive my ignorance here, but seems some of you guys 'took' a long time between say 'let's get one' to actual ownership. Is that because they are hard to find or just hanging out for 'your' Moke to come along?

Chris - one thing with Moke Ownership - the definitely are only going one way in value, almost regardless of condition. The van is a great car and also 'features' heavily in my own life, though I haven't had one now for about 25 years, but gave me a start in my working life in so many ways. IMO, Sprites look good, but I don't find them fun to drive - stick with the Moke!

Matt - understandable in your case mate, a very special car in your family indeed. It seemed to feature very heavily on your late Dad's life and was clearly a big part of him, so I guess by your default ownership, you still have some of your Dad. I'm of little doubt that the Moke also talks back to you in a similar way to how Robin would have!

Grand - Bhahaah,,, restored Moke,,,,,,, yeah, I think many of us know all about that! Yes, life would be very different without one!

Chris N - ah, so you were influenced at an early age! Done the full circle and come back to your 'roots'. Nice one. I had some friends (yes, true!) when I was at High School who did up Coopers and Cooper Ss' and at the age of 13, I learnt to drive in a Cooper S - oh God, I hope I don't go back to my roots!

Jez - your story here show that for all the money we sometime might whinge about spending on our beloved machines, they are worth much more than any some of cash. Nice that you are back in ownership again mate.

Timo - Yes, I think many's first experience in a Moke has been from a rental. I recall renting one which was one of my first experiences in a Moke. They were pretty casual in those days, as long as they got the dollars for the hire, they didn't worry too much - I was too young to have a driver's licence!

Thomas - Ha - you knew what you wanted right away!

Great stories guys. I'll add my own shortly.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Spider,
Know what you mean re the Sprite, you sort of 'put it on' rather than got in it! I did see them described as an upholstered roller skate! Some years ago at a classic car show, I was talking to a Sprite owner who said I could try his out, I had great difficulty getting in it and even greater difficulty getting out! Resting your left arm on the tranny tunnel and changing gear with a stick only a few inches long is somewhat different to the pudding stirrer on the Moke!

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Sorry for the extended delay here, been a little busy in the workshop the past few weeks,,,,,,

4XMOKE will fill you in on that.

So, what's my Moke to me?

I think the modern term is an SUV and the Moke would probably be the original SUV ;)
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Yeah, see this Ausy guy that keeps bothering me has some hair brain idea to wander off into the desert, so he's been in the shed for a while tinkering with his, and a few other peoples Mokes, so that we can all get further from civilisation before we all break down. Great idea.......
See Moke Talk, Simpson Desert Crossing 2016 to gain a vague idea of what he's got in mind for us.

Looking forward to this trek in a Spider Super Moke.

Roger G
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

My Moke is just the latest in a long running number of Minis! It happened to appear at the right time, at the price and in the right condition! I've always liked slightly quirky cars and the Moke seemed to tie in perfectly with that and my love of Minis.

I've had a 1979 850 Mini as my first car, followed by a 998, then 1275 Spi Equinox (This set on fire and is slowly being rebuilt!). I got a dull everyday car to replace the Equinox... 18 months later I got a 1980 Pick up (this is awaiting some major body work, I keep buying more cars so its not getting done!). The pick up went off the road, I then go a January 1960 Austin just before the prices for the early cars went too mad! Then came the Moke last November, I'm really looking forward to the summer and getting it out and about!

I also look after the family Reliant Scimitar GT and have to admit I'm on the lookout for an early GTE.

Return to “Moke Talk”