How old is my moke??

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
jakethepeg

How old is my moke??

Post by jakethepeg »

Hi Guys, just started the restoration of 2 mokes, and one has no papers. I think it is pretty early, has an 850 engine but virtually no floor! I have had a floor made locally, copying a good one very accurately, to keep the costs down. The VIN is MAB 1 7 and engine 8AM U H It is complete except side closing panels, but has no paint on it at all and is covered in rust. I will be stripping it this week and sending it to the sandblasters and will then post some pics. Eventually I would like to register it with DVLA but will need to prove its age. Can anyone tell me what they need for this so it will have an age related number, and also can any one here give an approximation of when it was built. Thanks in advance :D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: How old is my moke??

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Greetings jake and welcome to the forum. It's probably not a good idea to advertise your VIN and engine numbers on an open forum so I removed the bulk of the numbers before OK'ing your post.
I'm sure the regulars and experts around here will get what you mean from what's left, though I would say the first port of call would be for you to contact the appropriate model registrar ( their details can be found in most copies of "moking")
This wonderful publication is free to all Moke club members.....(advert) :)
Come on summer
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: How old is my moke??

Post by grantourer »

Hi Jake. Welcome to the Forum. I would also get a Heritage Certificate for your Moke, it will give you the build date and when it left the factory. These days with DVLA, every bit of paper helps, but do not send the certificate, send a copy. This link will take you to British Motor Heritage.

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/ar ... rtificates

You can also buy Moke The History. Our book on the Moke full of useful information.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate

Return to “Moke Talk”