Simpson Desert Crossing 2016

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
melbournerob

Re: Simpson Desert Crossing 2016

Post by melbournerob »

Please keep the details coming as you travel guys - very keen to follow your progress. All the very best for the trip - what an amazing experience.

Rob
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

mellowyellow

Post by mellowyellow »

Didn't know you were heading off so soon Spider. I see you ran into Great Divide Tours in Port Augusta. You made their facebook page.
Bets wishes for the trip, wish I was there - even in the fourby. :(
Halfpint

Post by Halfpint »

Hard to start a story for everyone when things splinter off.
One Moke had a delayed start but joined everyone at Nerandera. A few did some shopping in Mildura. Some stayed in Renmark for some time out. Will leave it there, but we are well and trully in outback South Australia. Look up Woomera. Got to love the head winds here. But all cars are here together for now.
HalfPint.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Well, the less than great part of the trip is in our rear view mirrors now, that boring endless black ribbon, though still few hundred km to go of that before we drop off the grid for about a week. Traveling with someone who has never been here though has really made that 'boring' bit not at all boring and there simply hasn't been a dull moment.

With appointments made and people to see on dates and in places that were set down months ago, at least one of us HAD to be in those places at those times. One more 'appointment' to tick off and then the diary can be thrown overboard.

After battling headwinds that had the bikers at around 30 degrees to the road, we are all grouped again in 'Rocket City' (Woomera) and now heading on to Cobber Pedy today for the 'big (grocery) shop', then on to Dalhousie Springs, time to re-adjust the underwear, sweat bullets one last time then step in to the Desert,,,,,

Dean - I blame the Pom for packing some of his weather if we cop an rain, though, we are expecting a small shower at Dalhousie,,,,,,
Halfpint wrote:Hard to start a story for everyone when things splinter off.
One Moke had a delayed start but joined everyone at Nerandera. A few did some shopping in Mildura. Some stayed in Renmark for some time out. Will leave it there, but we are well and trully in outback South Australia. Look up Woomera. Got to love the head winds here. But all cars are here together for now.
HalfPint.

Yeap, to the desert and beyond :)
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Moke log, day 4;
Every day and every few miles (Kms) brings new sights and experiences, I've also invented a few new superlatives!
Hydration can be a bit of an issue, there's not too much moisture about out here and Chris has put me onto a bit of a bush trick to keep hydration levels up. Don't try this t home kids, but we're drinking Avgas by the bucket full ! It really seems to hit the spot and focuses your ability to concentrate.
4XMOKE's best recommendation for a Moking road so far; Peterborough to Port Augusta over the hills, absolutely fabulous bends and sweeping curves, even in a fully laden Aus Moke I got my knee down, in a well sorted neg camber English Moke on 10" wheels it would be orgasmic !
Man of the match so far has to go to Tony Halfpint for staying back t assist Shorty, a very noble gesture and far beyond the call of duty.
Prize for pure grit and determination in the face of bottomless adversity goes to Shorty, well done for sticking with it and pushing to get back on schedule, so much better when we have all the crew together.
Award for Mr.Smooth and remaining unflustered goes to Greg P, there's nothing to phase him. That or he's got Koala blood in him and he just doesn't pick up speed !
Spider, well, it's Chris's damned fault that I'm out suffering all this punishment! seriously tough, we're all having an absolute ball, words alone simply cannot describe some of the sights and vistas that have presented themselves just getting to this point, and this is only the lead up to where the action starts.
Australia, I'm hooked. Fabulous place, fabulous people. I wouldn't be missing any of this for the world, all way beyond my expectations.
Gotta go hit the road, off to Spud's Roadhouse for breakfast.
Catch you all soon

Roger G
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
Sa mokin

Post by Sa mokin »

Glad to see some updates finally .... Had to piece together what has been happening from the odd Facebook Post ... Mavro and I travelled to Burra on Sunday to try and meet up with the group but due to technical difficulties they didn't make it in time before we had to head back to work the next day (wish we were coming along for the whole trip!)

Haven't seen many photos but found this one on Facebook

I know the dark green machine is HP's "Gulliver" but I didn't know you had royalty traveling along ... Who is travelling in the "Popemobile"?
minimk1man

Post by minimk1man »

Following this thread with interest Rog. What an adventure. You must be the first Pom to cross the dessert in a Moke. History in the making. I know you said it would be difficult to call and see Watto afterwards but if you really could manage it and get some pics of his Ant it would be fantastic. I hear he has some other interesting Ant info for you too. Anyway have a great time and regards to all the other crew.

Trevor
http://www.1959miniregister.com
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Thanks for the photo SA Definitely a Shorty moke he calls John and great to see he has made it as he was only putting the finishing touches to it last week when I spoke to him

All the best Spider and crew and will be following with interest

Cheers

Smokey
yellowmoke70

Post by yellowmoke70 »

4XMOKE wrote:Spider,
And your Mrs. sounded so lovely..... Scared now!

Note to self; Bring peace offering.

Roger G
hey chris its dave and nathan reading your posts .i think im on the interweb
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Many thanks for the kind comments and well wishes guys, appreciated :)

Had a dream run yesterday, still on that endless black ribbon at this stage in an Opal Mining Town called Coober Pedy at present. We had kicked off with 4 Mokes to do the desert crossing, though one has (sensibly) decided to drop out as the reality of his Moke not being quite up to scratch for the crossing has set in. I really feel for the poor guy (Shorty). We can carry on with 3 but no less.

From here, we'll be dropping of the grid for about a week (maybe longer!) while we head on up through the bush to the Desert's edge at Dalhousie Springs, then a huge 'glup' and 'are we really doing the right thing?' before stepping out.

We hope to be having a '50 years of Mokes' celebration at Poeppel Peg (marker post between 3 states), show casing just what the Moke was designed to do ;)

Or, have our sorry arses trucked out of the desert, success is far from certain on this one, but we'll give it our best go.

Roger has been the perfect traveling companion, entertaining but also mute in just the right places :)

The rest of the crew have been also just brilliant. Halfpint, in particular, deserves some kind of award for just being super, I so wish he too was coming over the dunes with us, but time and leave is not on his side for that.

Cheers guys
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Hi everyone, from an underground hotel in Coober Pedy.
Haven,t really got any time for a proper update, we're about to head off for breakfast in Coober then hit our first dirt roads up to Oodnadata. From there, we head upto Mount Dare and Dalhousie where the desert section starts. No comms from herein, we hope to be back in touch in a week or so, send red cross bacon sandwich drop after a fortnight please.

Roger G having an utter and complete life changing adventure

I LOVE AUSTRALIA !!!!!!!!!!!!
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
andra75

Post by andra75 »

Keeping tabs on you Rog and all the others via the forum. Good luck in the next part of the journey. Aunty A
yellowmoke70

Post by yellowmoke70 »

if you get this message im doing something right .not real good on computers. myself and the 2 boys should have kept following all 3 of you from penrith.not much fun at work.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Rog and fellow travellers!,
The very very best of British Luck on your way across the desert, hope to hear from you in a couple of weeks!
Hope all goes well - make history you guys!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Return to “Moke Talk”