Simpson Desert Crossing 2016

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
andra75

Re: Simpson Desert Crossing 2016

Post by andra75 »

Sorry to read that the original trip has had to be abandoned, but sounds like you are still enjoying the whole experience of OZ. I had better not encourage any talk of a return trip next year, but you COULD include a trip to us in NZ IF you were down this way!!
Aunty A
Halfpint

Post by Halfpint »

Cheers Guys,
Just like your group, we are sitting out the weather. Lots of creeks in flood, but some are able to be crossed :wink:
Like the Silverton Creek we went throuh today :D .
A 600klm day again yesterday, but both Mokes are running sweet as.
So many Roos and Emu's in this region, with a few 'Hang On to something" moments as they suddenly run out in front of you :o .
Had a really funny moment today as a mob of 6 or 7 Emu's ran out in front of us only to get confussed and a couple of them turned back and crashed into the other, all right in front of our stationary Mokes :D . There we legs and feathers tumbling all over the place. I nearly fell out of the Moke, I was laughing so much :lol: .

Shorty had a chance to seal up a few leaks in his roof today, and switch around his tyres, but it was good to stay local for a couple of nights.

Hey Rog, just dont slip up mate, we will need you back at some stage :wink:

Cheers
Halfpint, Boydie, Shorty and Mrs Spider.
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Andra S, yeah, might have got next trip past committee approval already, just like this time !

Halfpint, after that little incident I have learned two things, one; don't stand on armco. Two; when some damned Aussie shouts at you, don't look at them and lose your balance!

Got a pic this afternoon of the Todd river doing it's best to get into flood, I had the Moke sat in the middle of the river with water up to it's tyre treads, just. Water was flowing down stream, over the causeway, then just disappearing into the sand. Bizzare.....

Roger G drinking Guinness from a wine glass, cheers Greg P !
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

So, when is the next trip? how much to budget? Then I can start negotiations with Household management.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I don't have any management to negotiate with......I'm self employed :P
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Seems ironic that after all that planning the one thing Spider didn't organise was an actual desert to cross.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Tim, he'd got a Dester sorted out, it's just we got there on the wrong day and it was closed. Must have been some Aussie bank holiday or something like that. very handy I'm sure........

Roger G on hodilay in the backout.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

watto wrote:I really hope you guys will do something on your great adventure for The BMC Experience / The Mini Experience. What a great trip. Last year on The Shitbox Rally, Brett and I decided to go and have a crack at Big Red with the Mini - but only got 5km out of Birdsville when the rear wheel fell off :lol: Ah well, that is still on the "to do" list.

Cheers,
Watto.
Craig,

Thanks for your offer here, however, while certainly not set in stone even at this stage, talks have been going on for some time in regards to media coverage on a few fronts.

Big Red really is something else, it would have been great to see the old SBM have a go for sure, some laughs in there, as long as no one got hurt ad nothing got broken! I heard last night that the latest SB Rally has been re-routed due to the same whether pattern that got us and Ironically, out on the Tilpa Road where our good friend Garry also got us stuck - what are mates for?

Chris
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
watto

Post by watto »

Sorry to hear about the change of plans. Last I heard you were incomunicado for a week or so, so hadn't checked in until now. Still, you did the right thing. Many people have lost their lives in Central Australia because they didn't respect the conditions.

The revised trip is still going to be a fairly epic Moke run and would still make a good story for BMCE or TME - Unfinished Business, as it were (although I've already used that title).

If nothing is set in stone with other media outlets, then we can talk. Of course nothing wrong with Roger doing something for one of the UK Mini mags and Chris doing something for BMCE, or vice versa.

The offer still stands for the consolation prize of coming and having a look at my Ant. We are only 12-hour's drive from Sydney. That's nothing after what you will have done already. :-)

Anyway, safe travels for the return trip.

Watto.
Watto

1969 Mini Van rally car
1976 Mini Van work car
1972 Moke fun car
1968 Ant project car
Sa mokin

Post by Sa mokin »

Simpson desert crossing on Mokes

4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

SA Mokin,
That was Simpson's Gap, a place we visited just outside of Alice Springs. Not sure which character is best portrayed here as Spider, I'll leave you to make suggestions........

Roger G, Not-on-a-horse-right-now.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

4XMOKE wrote:
No, but been riding a donkey the past 2 weeks,,,,
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Sa mokin

Post by Sa mokin »

4XMOKE wrote:SA Mokin,
That was Simpson's Gap, a place we visited just outside of Alice Springs. Not sure which character is best portrayed here as Spider, I'll leave you to make suggestions........

I'm tempted to say Flanders as he doesn't drink and his only vice is ice cream ... But his Morning greeting is definitely not "Hididdly Ho neighbour"!
shorty 68

Post by shorty 68 »

So is Rodger still here in Australia as have not from any to say when he is going home.
Cheers Ian
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

shorty 68 wrote:So is Rodger still here in Australia as have not from any to say when he is going home.
Cheers Ian
Ian,
Australia has still Roger here. Not say when home going.
Tourist seeing sight with relaxation and dingos.

With catch we will up with you, Shortly

RoDger G, but without a D

Return to “Moke Talk”