Moke heater plumbing

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Pete

Moke heater plumbing

Post by Pete »

I finally found a heater for my moke. Now I need to plumb it in.
Can anyone tell me if the inlet manifold I have is a water heated one? It's 77 aussie moke.

Also does it matter which way the water flows through the heater radiator?

Thanks

grantourer
MMC Member

Re: Moke heater plumbing

Post by grantourer »

Hi Pete. Your manifold does not look like a heated one. My Aussie has the cylinder head take off going into the top of the heater matrix, and the bottom of the heater matrix goes to the bottom hose.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Pete

Post by Pete »

grantourer,

Thanks for the info. I have the takeoff on the cylinder head but I have a half inch tube coming from the front of the rediator. Seems to come from the bottom of the rad to the top. At present this is connected bay a hose from the head take off to the rad.
I was wondering about the blanked off outlets o my manifold. If not for water, what would they be for? They are currently blanked off by short rubber hose plugged with a bolt (as seen in pic). I have no idea what would connect here. As far as I know the manifold is the original cast iron one.
Tim

Post by Tim »

The blanked off hole in the manifold is for part of the emission control I think. The big thing sticking up out of it is too. I imagine that you also have 4 plugs in the front of the head next to each spark plug and you probably have the funny shaped thermostat cover with a flat front?

It was all part of the emission control system that was fitted to Australian Mokes in that period. It did stuff-all for emissions but was extra load on the engine so actually caused you to burn more fuel. It has been taken off just about every Moke and Mini I've ever seen.

None of the factory one-piece manifolds were water-heated, they don't need to be because they are cast in a single piece with the exhaust manifold which provides plenty of heat on its own.

That radiator with the water pipe on the front was something to do with it too, I think the air pump (which mounted on the flat front of the thermostat cover) got in the way. Spider will know for sure, but I think it plumbs in to one of the heater lines, instead of the small pipe that normally T's off the lower radiator hose.

Mini is a '77 too, but most of that stuff was gone long before I got it, and the rest of it is gone now.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks Tim.
That helps me heaps. Good thing I asked. I could have ended up running water to the inlet manifold. :cry:
Thanks for all the reply's.
Hope to get the heating on this week end.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

If it's a cast iron manifold it won't be heated. The heated ones are for when you have a tubular steel exhaust manifold and an aluminium inlet manifold
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Pete wrote:...Good thing I asked. I could have ended up running water to the inlet manifold. :cry: ...
Yes, that would have done nothing for keeping you warm, but at least your engine wouldn't have been overheating. :D

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Moke Talk”