Any Moke enthusiasts within an hour of St Albans?

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
John R T

Any Moke enthusiasts within an hour of St Albans?

Post by John R T »

First time posting to this great forum. On Friday we saw a story in our local paper about 20 Mokes arriving in a village near us. By Saturday lunch time we had bought two of them. The only information that my wife and I have about Mokes has been gathered since Friday. Now we are about to embark on a grand project we would love to have a chat with someone who has gone through the renovation process as an amateur and is happy to talk to a couple of newbies. If we could meet up all the better, and more civilised than a phone conversation. We live in St Albans, UK.

John
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Any Moke enthusiasts within an hour of St Albans?

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Welcome to THE forum, if yours are the ones I'm thinking they are I've also got one of them in my garage :D Problem is you're down there in that south and probably a bit more than an hour away judging by the traffic on the A1 today. Nevertheless there are a few mokers round by you and any questions you may think of asking will be soon answered on here
Come on summer
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi, welcome to the Forum. Good to see Mokes in St Albans ( I was born there!!! ) First thing to do is thoroughly clean both vehicles, so you can see what you actually have that is good and what is rust. Contact Ron at Runamoke with regards to the Hoods, he can supply these for you and is in Essex, not far from you. I am only an hour and half from you, but happy to help. PM me for a phone number.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Hi, I live in High Barnet so about 20mins from you in ST Albans.
I have just finished the restortion of my 1965 moke so have gone through all the processes necessary to end up with a finished car!! well almost finished as there is always some little bits to do.!!.. anyway more than happy to talk to you and you can come and see my car if that helps, also I can recommend the best person ever for any welding needed who als0 lives nearby at London colney.

give me a call on 07917 527144 , if no reply just leave a message as I could be driving or working.......regards James
John R T

Post by John R T »

Thanks all for the replies. We are all very excited about the restoration project. John
John R T

Post by John R T »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Welcome to THE forum, if yours are the ones I'm thinking they are I've also got one of them in my garage :D Problem is you're down there in that south and probably a bit more than an hour away judging by the traffic on the A1 today. Nevertheless there are a few mokers round by you and any questions you may think of asking will be soon answered on here

If you bought yours from James in Markyate then yes. Thanks for the reply.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your mini jokes, as is, during restoration and after.

Don't worry about
rust it can be replaced with steel. :D
Having a moking good time!
dpstjp
MMC Member

Post by dpstjp »

Welcome indeed. I never fail to raise a smile, a wave or a thumbs up driving mine.

First thing to do is join the Moke Club and buy some of their brilliant new grille badges.

Doug, I think you need to sort your autocorrect out!
John R T

First restoration questions for my Portuguese Mokes

Post by John R T »

I've begun exploring the two Mokes bought in Markyate last month. My first stumbling block is how to remove the rear bench seat.

Could anyone advise on how to remove the hinge pin? It may be seized in and will have to be cut out, I've tried hammering it with a centre punch with no success.

My second question is about front seat restoration. There is some serious corrosion of the front seat frames. I'd love to keep them. Is it safe/economic to have the badly corroded parts of the frame replaced? It's small areas but on the bottom corners of both seats.

Is this a niche type of welding job?

John

Return to “Moke Talk”