Does anyone tow their Moke ???

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Drake
MMC Member

Does anyone tow their Moke ???

Post by Drake »

As per title does anyone tow their Moke to shows/events etc. The reason I ask, is that i've been looking into ways to take my AMC Cub to events. I own a campervan (VW size) and it's handy to when you want to stop a few days somewhere etc. When i recently went to the Festival Number 6 I towed the Cub behind my van on a twin axle trailer. But I have to be honest while the van was up for it weight wise it certainly struggled power wise - just a standard 2.5 non turbo diesel.
Im quite happy to drive it any distance by myself but the Cub (moke) is for the family and traveling with the wife/kidly and stuff does not appeal to me or the misses.

The trailer is not an option due to size/storage etc. As such i've been looking at braked A frames or dollies (dont worry about the legalities i'm fully aware of them and i've read all the bumph on the DVLA site etc etc.) I'm happy that these are the 2 options open to me.
The a frame kit i've seen bolts to the front (guess it will bolt to the subframe mounts - unsure how the brake works yet + electrics etc.
The dollies lift the front wheels and quite a compact little unit so could store no issue. I think both options will work behind my van.

The idea is I want to travel and distance not be an issue. if the answer is drive it you muppet and get on with it then fine (aint going to happen but appreciate your advice :wink: )

If anyone has any pics/recommendations please let me know.
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: Does anyone tow their Moke ???

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Drake,
One or two members tow their Mokes behind camper vans using A frames
This was Keith Overson at the 2015 National
I have not seen anyone using a dolly but the A frames seem to be used. I'm not sure but I don't think they are legal in Europe.
Maybe PM Keith for more info on his A frame.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Jez

Post by Jez »

Never !

Mokes are for Moking I drive mine everywhere. :)

Jez

DBL 785B
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

I think the one on Keiths is the kit I've been looking at. In fact I'm sure his Moke was in the gallery. As said I'll contact him. Luckily the company that fits em is just down the road from me.
Going to be a lot of expense soon as I'm also looking at converting the roof on the van to a pop top but I'm determined to get some use out of the van and the cub.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Drake. we tow our Moke on a trailer, along with other members. We took our Moke down to Croatia this year. Had an excellent time. The problem with A frames is the legality outside the UK. Technically they are only legal to recover a disabled vehicle, but the Government turns a blind eye. In most of Europe, you are not allowed to tow a vehicle on the Autobahn, Autopista or AutoRoute. Which is why you only see recovery trucks with tilt beds.

I have personal experience of this in Germany, helping an older couple who had been pulled using an A frame, despite having the piece of paper they where told to show the Motorway police. My advice, buy a trailer.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Drake wrote:I think the one on Keiths is the kit I've been looking at. In fact I'm sure his Moke was in the gallery. As said I'll contact him. Luckily the company that fits em is just down the road from me.
Going to be a lot of expense soon as I'm also looking at converting the roof on the van to a pop top but I'm determined to get some use out of the van and the cub.
Hi Drake, I've sent you a PM about getting hold of Keith.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

grantourer wrote:Hi Drake. we tow our Moke on a trailer, along with other members. We took our Moke down to Croatia this year. Had an excellent time. The problem with A frames is the legality outside the UK. Technically they are only legal to recover a disabled vehicle, but the Government turns a blind eye. In most of Europe, you are not allowed to tow a vehicle on the Autobahn, Autopista or AutoRoute. Which is why you only see recovery trucks with tilt beds.

I have personal experience of this in Germany, helping an older couple who had been pulled using an A frame, despite having the piece of paper they where told to show the Motorway police. My advice, buy a trailer.
Hi -many thanks for the advise, my mate has a trailer and I can borrow it whenever I need to the only problem is that my van which is a Mitsubishi L300 just isn't up the job of trailer and Cub. I built it as a camper myself 5 years ago so i'm really reluctant to sell it to buy something bigger, I'm aware of the laws on the continent and while i've taken my van abroad a few times I dont intend to take the Cub unless under its own steam.
I've read the DVLA docs and agree that it states for a disabled vehicle but my thoughts are that with a braked 'A' frame and the Cub which is fully insured/taxed/MOT'd that i'll be fine.

And Wally - thanks for the contact details much appreciated...
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Only when it breaks down.

Once for 6 miles when it suffered from severe overheating.

and another when the front left axle came out when I locked the wheel over too far and hard.
Having a moking good time!
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Spent a day at the motorhome show at NEC yesterday - that was interesting. A few companies selling the A frames and one selling a trailer that would fit the Cub spot on. Problem as always is budget as I also want to fit a pop top on the camper which is gonna cost a fair bit even with me doing it to save on labour. Anyways back to the show, was interesting speaking to some of em and as soon as I said what it was for they went 'a what?' :lol:
Also contacted the chap Chris advised - really helpful and used the company thats on my doorstep. So will give em a call and see what happens. Nothing is certain yet but I need to have somat in place for next spring... Have fun all...

Return to “Moke Talk”