New to Mini Mokes and have a few questions

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
serieslandy65

New to Mini Mokes and have a few questions

Post by serieslandy65 »

Hello, I hope this is in the right place for questions.
I am a new Moke owner and am confused about some probably trivial things...

.My first question is about galvanised bodies. My Moke is a 1986 Portuguese one with a galvanised body. I am a little perplexed about this because my internet research has shown that Mokes only got galvanised bodies in 1988, so is it possible this body was galvanised at the factory, done by someone else or a replacement body which is why I am confused even more because the body number matches the vin.

.My second question is about colour codes for 1986 Mokes and whether the grill, roll bar, bumper, windscreen and sidewindow things should be body colour or a separate colour.

.My third and final question is about it leaning on the drivers side. We have looked at the subframe and other suspension parts and non are bent to cause such a lean, so has anyone had this problem before? and is there a way to fix it?

Thank you for any replies help is greatly appreciated because I have no clue about Mokes this being my first ever Moke

Rory
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: New to Mini Mokes and have a few questions

Post by grantourer »

Hi Rory. Welcome to the Forum. With regards to early Portuguese Mokes, these where built from Australian stock moved to Portugal. My 1981 Australian is galvanised. Your grill, bumpers, window frames should be a different colour.

With regards to leaning on the drivers side, this needs a bit more investigation. The probable cause is a collapsed Ball Socket at the end of the suspension strut. You will need a Rubber Cone compressor to investigate this one, or take it to a Moke/Mini friendly garage. Where in the World are you?
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Don't forget that every time the Moke will have been out there will have been someone sat on the drivers side and perhaps they were not as svelte as you graham. This could cause the suspension to settle more on the drivers side
Come on summer
serieslandy65

Post by serieslandy65 »

grantourer wrote:Hi Rory. Welcome to the Forum. With regards to early Portuguese Mokes, these where built from Australian stock moved to Portugal. My 1981 Australian is galvanised. Your grill, bumpers, window frames should be a different colour.

With regards to leaning on the drivers side, this needs a bit more investigation. The probable cause is a collapsed Ball Socket at the end of the suspension strut. You will need a Rubber Cone compressor to investigate this one, or take it to a Moke/Mini friendly garage. Where in the World are you?
Hello grandtourer
thank you for the information about the colours and the possible reason about the glav tub. The Moke is in Cyprus in the Pafos region and since im not a local I don't really know if there is a moke friendly garage, I presume there is one due to the amount of Mokes on the road over here but if we can source a Cone compressor we will investigate on our own.

Thank you again

Rory
serieslandy65

Post by serieslandy65 »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Don't forget that every time the Moke will have been out there will have been someone sat on the drivers side and perhaps they were not as svelte as you graham. This could cause the suspension to settle more on the drivers side
Hello Nigel
thank you for the information
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Hi Rory,
Just curious in how you know it is a galvanised shell?
Dean.
serieslandy65

Post by serieslandy65 »

Dean wrote:Hi Rory,
Just curious in how you know it is a galvanised shell?
Dean.
Hi Dean

We know it's a glav shell because when we bought the Moke it had been sat outside for a few years with no cover and a poor paint job so we decided to strip the paint off using paint stripper and we found that the body was galvanised, but the funny thing being it has rusted in some areas such as footwells and rear tray area whether or not this is due to sitting water I don’t know.

Rory
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

serieslandy65 wrote:
grantourer wrote:Hi Rory. Welcome to the Forum. With regards to early Portuguese Mokes, these where built from Australian stock moved to Portugal. My 1981 Australian is galvanised. Your grill, bumpers, window frames should be a different colour.

Hello grandtourer
thank you for the information about the colours and the possible reason about the glav tub. The Moke is in Cyprus in the Pafos region and since im not a local I don't really know if there is a moke friendly garage, I presume there is one due to the amount of Mokes on the road over here but if we can source a Cone compressor we will investigate on our own.

Thank you again

Rory
Hi Rory. This is what you need, as 2 types of thread on Mini rubber springs:-

http://www.minispares.com/product/classic/660330.aspx
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
serieslandy65

Post by serieslandy65 »

grantourer wrote:
serieslandy65 wrote:

Hello grandtourer

Thank you again

Rory
Hi Rory. This is what you need, as 2 types of thread on Mini rubber springs:-

http://www.minispares.com/product/classic/660330.aspx
Hi grandtourer thank you very much for the link we will buy one of these and see. Thank you again

Rory

Return to “Moke Talk”