I just broke down

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Doug G
MMC Member

I just broke down

Post by Doug G »

I realise that this is not a new topic for us Mokers: 'breaking down'.

However I went over a large bump and the engine cut out. :?

I checked the wires (including the 'breakdown wire Nigel) as the engine would turn but no ignition.

Also no tools not even an Leatherman, or a short length of wire, on me.

Must be thankful for small mercies, it happened on a rarely frequented dirt track as opposed to the centre of town.

Called my mechanic friend, who arrived about 30 minutes later.

A few checks and the thin wire 'from the coil into the loom' appears to have caused it. He shorted the circuit and the engine started. He undid the thin wire and tightened the spade connection and away I went 10 minutes later.

Although he did not want to charge me, I did make a US$20.00 donation to his beer fund, after all it is Friday at 3:00pm :lol:
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Re: I just broke down

Post by Tim »

The thin wire from the coil into the loom is effectively the other side of the 'breakdown wire'. In fact, its the ignition switch wire. If it breaks it has exactly the same effect as switching off the ignition.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Erm, are there any other 'breakdown' wires of which I should be aware ?
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Post by Tim »

They're the two main ones that will prevent the engine from running. Or if you look at it from the flipside, they're the ones that make it so easy to hotwire older cars.

If you have an electric fuel pump there are a couple of others that can do it and I did have an interesting breakdown caused by the main battery wire shorting to the body where it runs through the holes in the side pannier once.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Moke Talk”