1967 Moke

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
minniemoke

1967 Moke

Post by minniemoke »

Hi all. I'm new to the group so I would like to thank in advance anyone who provides any assistance.

My first post involves a 1967 Moke which I have come across.
According to the V5c it was first registered on the 31st December 1967 yet it carries an 'E' plate. Is this an error on behalf of the issuing authority of the time? It was registered in Exeter! Obviously '67 was the short year for 'E' plates so I expected it to be an 'F'.

Also it's a bit of a mix of Mk1/2 as it has foot operated h/b but twin wipers!

Hopefully if needed I can provide more information.

Thanks

Doug
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: 1967 Moke

Post by grantourer »

Hi Doug. Welcome to the Forum. I presume you have purchased this Moke? First place to start is with a heritage certificate, https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/ar ... rtificates

This will tell you exactly what you your Moke is Mark 1 or Mark 2, if memory serves me right, about this time we went from January to December, to August to July, as you say it could be an error by the licensing authority. Also the registering dealer could have made a mistake. Anyway enjoy the Moke and hope to see you on some events.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
minniemoke

Post by minniemoke »

Yes I have actually. I must have made it obvious :D

I was going down the heritage certificate route but thought I would ask in case somebody was aware of the reason.
One explanation I thought of was, that it was on the line when the mk2 mods were announced so they stuck the pass wiper on!
It might explain why it was issued with a mark prior to August but didn't make it on the road till December or perhaps I'm grasping at straws :lol:
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Your Moke sounds very similar to mine! It is also a 67 and has the characteristics as yours! I have a foot switch for main beam, a Mk1 indicator stalk and twin wipers! I believe that this was quite common as there was no offical Mk1/2 Moke, someone with more knowledge may correct me!
67 Morris Moke
Bodge

Post by Bodge »

Hi Doug

Welcome to the forum. Your Moke sounds quite interesting.
grantourer wrote:This will tell you exactly what you your Moke is Mark 1 or Mark 2
Unfortunately Graham is not quite right about this and it is slightly more complicated. When the Mark 2 Mini model range was introduced in October 1967, some of the improvements were applied to the Moke which itself evolved into a Mark 2 version. However the mk2 Moke was never officially launched by BMC, so any Heritage Certificate won't be able to confirm whether a Moke is a Mk1 or Mk2, as these designations were never used by the factory.

The first Mk2 Mokes were manufactured in the AAB1/ MAB1 1068*** chassis number series around the first or second week of September 1967. For a period of time during the switch from Mk1s to Mk2s, there was a hybrid period where cars had a mixture of both Mk1 and Mk2 features.

It is common misconception that the twin wiper rack motor (mounted on the passenger side for RHD vehicles and on the driver's side for LHD vehicles) was introduced along with the other Mk2 Moke features. In fact the twin wiper rack was introduced much earlier and may have been fitted as early as autumn 1966. I also used to own a July 1967 Moke that retained the foot operated dip switch, green indicator switch and yet also had a twin wiper rack.

If your Moke has an Exeter registration, then it may well have been supplied by Barton and your heritage certificate may yet reveal more. Depending on its registration, it may be one of the "lost" Mokes used by the Devon County Fire Brigade or even one used by the Devon and Cornwall Constabulary. Exciting stuff. Roger
minniemoke

Post by minniemoke »

Thanks Roger.

I'm really excited with my acquisition and I'm going to get the heritage certificate after the Christmas period has passed.
Thanks for the info. My motor is a standard mini type wiper motor which is positioned on the drivers side.
Would anyone know what the reg of those DCFB machines?

Doug

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Moke Talk”