1967 Moke or 1966 Moke ????

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
1938al

1967 Moke or 1966 Moke ????

Post by 1938al »

I have had my 1967 Moke for about ten years. I am starting an authentic restoration. I just received my BMHIT Certificate and the dates seem to conflict with this certificate and the copy I have of the Original Importer's and Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. Both documents show the serial/chassis number and the engine numbers match. The BMIHT lists the date of build as 8 Dec 1965, date of despatch as 5 Jan 1966 and the destination as Baltimore, Md. The statement of Origin lists the first date of transfer to BMC/Hambro Inc. in Ridegfield, NJ Sept 1, 1966 (almost 9 months from the date of despatch). The document also lists it as a 1967 Mini Moke. My questions are , 1) Is is reasonable to assume that the car was built in 1965 but actually was sold as a 1967? and 2) Did the Moke first go to Baltimore and then sit for nine months before being delivered to New Jersey? I am in Chesapeake, VA USA - Alan
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: 1967 Moke or 1966 Moke ????

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Alan,
Welcome to the forum!
I have a similar experience. My Moke was built 22 November 1965 (just a couple of weeks before yours!), exported to Philadelphia on 27th Jan 66 according to the heritage certificate. I have a Certificate of Title for the State of California which says it is a 1967 Austin, all the chassis and engine numbers are the same on both documents. I also have an Application for Original Registration from the DMV in California which again states it as a 1967 Austin.
I am trying to locate some of the US owners but have had no luck so far. I believe that we at the Moke Club have the US records for English Mokes exported so I am trying to find some info this way. My chassis number is AAB1L817813 engine number is 8AC U H3135 are these near to yours?
I would suggest that the build date on the Heritage cert is correct as this information will have come from the original hand written ledgers from the Austin and Morris factories.
Interesting stuff!
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
1938al

Post by 1938al »

Hello Wally, Thanks for the reply. I contacted the BMIHT and heard back from them this morning. They reconfirmed that all dates on my certificate were correct. They do not have any additional records showing export shipment or dates. My chassis # is A-AB1L/823353 , Engine # 8AC-FA-U-H/3520 ,and body #2954. Since chassis # includes all mini varients we are 5540 apart. the engine # is only 385 units apart so I think that makes sense.What is your body number? Something close to 2569? Also you are from Derbyshire and have a repatriated North American Moke from California back to the UK? Thanks again for your response I feel pretty sure now based on your experience that information I have now is probably correct. Still like to know why there was 9 months from original factory despatch to the first recorded transfer in New Jersey? Alan
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Alan,
My body number is 2769 according to the heritage cert as I am missing the plate on the Moke.
WEE MOKE (its reg number in the US) came back to the UK in 2006 to a small company that restores Morris 1000's, they had the Moke for something different. she was originally Spruce Green but was repainted Old English White some time while it was in the US. I have a bill of sale from 1987 where it was purchased for $50!.
I hav no records of where it was or who owned it from 1966 to 1979. I have a few owners details from 79 to the late 80's all in or around San Diego California.
Have a look at the thread at
http://www.mokeclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4635
this was my first post after I bought the Moke and joined the club.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
1938al

Post by 1938al »

Hi Wally, I enjoyed reading your early posts.There are always so many interesting stories with old cars. I really lucked out getting ahold of my Moke. I have always loved British cars since my first car when I was 15 and bought a 1960 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon ($75) Budget was $100 so I still had $25 left for parts. Since then I have always had an MG midget or Mgb in the garage to tinker with. So 28 Dec 2003 I get a call from a friend (Richard) in our local MG club to ask me if I knew what a Mini Moke was. I told him yes but I had only ever seen 1 before. He then says do you want to buy one?The story was that the daughter of the Moke"s owner lived next door to Richard and he agreed to drive 15 hours to Indiana and bring the Moke back here to sell for him (Earle). Earle was in poor health and had this moke since 1978 and wanted it to get a good home.It was in good running condition after some minor work but it had some bondo and rivited patch here and there. According to his daughter he had driven it in all weather since 78 and it even came with the factory fibreglass hardtop which was available through dealers in North America only. I believe a different one was avalable in UK aftermarket.So after the first drive I was Hooked. Currently it is stripped down to do the necessary welding and will be painted it's orig spruce green ( brush painted white right now ). I am planning on a total original restoration to be completed sometime next summer. Question does "WEEMOKE" have stainless bumpers? Alan
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Alan,
No the bumpers are regulation black.
Could do with some pics of yours.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
MiniCord

Post by MiniCord »

Well, I am in almost the same boat as you.

My Moke wiper and light swich dated my car to 1965, however mine was registered as 1967. I still need to order the certificate, but my car was sold at an upstate NY dealer, only to be bought by a farmer.

I can't be certain for sure, but I think what happened is the Moke was a very slow seller and sat in a dealership for 1 or 2 years before selling it.

regards,

Miguel
tennmoke

Post by tennmoke »

Back in the 60s U.S. dealers were allowed to title a vehicle the year it was sold, not the year it was manufactured. That allowed slower moving imports to not lose value on unsold vehicles with each new model year. My 1968 Moke AAB1L821965 was built in November of 65 but titled as a 68.
pbraun

Post by pbraun »

Mine built in 65, titled as a 66.
peter
1965 Mini Moke, English built, on the road again!

Return to “Moke Talk”