Building a model Moke 1/24

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
MiniCord

Building a model Moke 1/24

Post by MiniCord »

Hi All,

I'm currently building a Moke in 1/24 scale using a Tamiya kit and a transkit I bough from Herve Marilleaud from France. He developed the transkit himself.

This project was started in february 12 2017.

The kit is a nightmare to put together and is not for the faint of heart. Here are some pictures of the progress so far:
This is what you get.

Test fitting some of the parts. The bonnet is a nightmare, as it's not preformed. Herve will send you a square sheet of thin metal which needs to be cut and bend to shape. Not an easy task.

Bonnet still needs a bit of refinement.

Since my moke is LHD, i had to modify the kit to fit. Here is some test fitting to make sure all is in the right place.

The grille, now installed is a nice acid etched piece.

The kit doesn't come with grab handles. They were "easily" replicated using some mild steel wire.

Battery cover, it kinda comes with the kit, but it was too wide, I had to made one myself from scratch using a thin piece of plastic.

Replicating a folded hood, not an easy task. Using brass wire and real canvas material. Still some work left to be done there.

Rear bumper, another nightmare, comprised of 5 different parts. The bumper tube comes with the kit but not the L-shaped arms.

Front bumper came out nicely too.

Painting the Moke was a challenge as there's no easy way to sit it in place. First grey primer.

painted body, green came out a bit too light compared to my Moke, not turning back now.

Putting the engine inside was not an easy task, as it will not fit coming from the bottom as required by the Tamitya kit, and parts had to be assembled inside the engine bay. Still some work to do in there.

The Moke now sits in its 4 wheels!

That's all for now, Stay tuned for more progress updates.

Best regards,

Miguel

www.MinipassionMini.com
pbraun

Re: Building a model Moke 1/24

Post by pbraun »

Awesome job, Miguel. Thanks to your photos, it's nice to see your progress and also easy to tell this is too much of a project for my fat fingers to undertake! I will live vicariously watching you build yours. :D
peter
1965 Mini Moke, English built, on the road again!
Daniel
MMC Member

Post by Daniel »

Hi Miguel,

great job! I only knew one transkit for a 1:24 Moke. That was built by Fluewa in Switzerland.
Do you have some more info about this kit. Is it still available?
Maybe I can put some info on my website of Moke models!

Regards,
Daniel
The Moke model car overview: http://www.mokemodels.com
MiniCord

Post by MiniCord »

Hi Peter,

Thank you! It's a hard model to build, and its constantly testing my imagination and skills.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you! The transkit is made by Herve, he's a french modeller who is skilled enough to make his own models from scratch. He built the Moke for himself and made a cast from it, making resin copies. I found his model on ebay.
https://www.facebook.com/herve.marilleaud

Being a home made model, it's not perfect and the proportions are sometimes a bit off, but overall its a great rendition, and since nothing else is easily available....

in this forum you can see his process of making the model from scratch all the way to his finished model.http://www.forum-auto.com/automobile-pr ... 9-1540.htm

Here's the kit available on ebay:
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Mini-Moke-a-mont ... SwUKxYhRa5

Now for my progress:

Finished the engine bay:

And the interior

Stole the bonnet straps from another model, the Tamiya Racing Mini.

Lots of work still to be done, here's a little teaser, the windshield is not glued yet.

Regards

Miguel
Daniel
MMC Member

Post by Daniel »

Hi Miguel,
thanks for the detailed info and links.
This looks really interesting. I will not bid this time but I´m sure I will contact the seller soon.

Regards,
Daniel
The Moke model car overview: http://www.mokemodels.com
MiniCord

Post by MiniCord »

And the Moke is 99% finished.

It's missing the front and rear plates to match my Moke, plus a hub cap for the spare. Also I need a couple of british flags decals.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the result. It's by far the hardest model I have ever built.

Return to “Moke Talk”