April 1969 Australian Moke advice

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
mab01uk

April 1969 Australian Moke advice

Post by mab01uk »

My brother is about to restore this April 1969 Australian Mike imported to the UK from South Africa. He would welcome any thoughts on whether he should he restore it as an original Aussie Moke or make it look as near possible to an English Moke replica which was his original idea when he first purchased it, before later researching its full history and early registration year (for an Aussie Moke).

Also what is the cylinderical object on the bulkhead below the fuse box?

Tim

Re: April 1969 Australian Moke advice

Post by Tim »

Why make it the same as all the other mokes in the UK? Definitely put it back to Aussie spec. That's just my opinion.

The cylinder looks a bit like a fuel pump. Neither it or the fusebox are correct.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

I have to agree and would be nice to see it in original spec. Good luck and keep us posted on the rebuild and what you decide.
Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke »

I have to agree to keep it Australian. I am wondering if the cylinder thing is something to do with the windscreen washers. I can sort of remember my dad's Moke having something like this connected to the washer system.
woodypup59

Post by woodypup59 »

As said, the cylinder looks like a high pressure fuel pump for fuel injection because of the banjo fitting at the RH end.
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Looks like an old fuel filter to me and someone's re-routed the pipework with a new filter, leaving the old parts in place.
Leave it as Aussie but lose that bar work.
Dean
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Thanks for all the helpful comments, I will keep you posted on restoration progress due to start soon and yes the 'bar work' is going!

Return to “Moke Talk”