Won’t Start

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Sribs

Won’t Start

Post by Sribs »

I have a Portuguese Mini Moke that has been garaged whilst waiting for the sun to shine.

I went to start her and nothing, not even a click. I have checked the battery and it’s fully charged. The lights work.

I have put a screwdriver across the 2 terminals of the solenoid and she cranks.

I then put the screwdriver across the battery terminal and the red and white cable connector and nothing. Do I need to replace the solenoid?

Any advice on this would be gratefully received. As the sun is shining and would love to get Moking! :D
Doug G
MMC Member

Re: Won’t Start

Post by Doug G »

Ignition switch/key works?
Having a moking good time!
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

The starter solenoid control wire could have a bad connection.

There is also the 'breakdown wire' Nigel can tell you where it is.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

It sounds like the starter solenoid is suspect. Or it could be the connection between the ignition lock and solenoid
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel, what does that 'breakdown wire' do? The one which causes the Moke to stop when it 'breaks' or 'disconnects'?

It is a very 'thin' wire, near the distributer, I will try and get a pic. :)
Sribs

Post by Sribs »

I’ve replaced the solenoid. Will keep you posted. :D :D
Sribs

Post by Sribs »

So I’ve replaced the solenoid and when I hook up the battery the car cranks without me putting the key in the ignition! :?
Not sure why that is happening as I replaced cables like for like.
Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Connections and wires to switch and/or the ignition switch itself might be the problem.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

If it’s turning over with no key as soon as the solenoid is connected then there is obviously a direct connection to the battery somehow. It’s a bit difficult to say really without being able to get up close and personal with it.
Come on summer
Sribs

Post by Sribs »

Nigel, that’s what I think.
I’m going to replace the old part because if that’s the case the engine should still crank once I hook up the battery. It wasn’t doing that before which is why I replaced the part.
This one has me perplexed 🤔
Sribs

Post by Sribs »

So I hooked up the old solenoid.
When I put the - heavy duty cable on the negative terminal of the battery nothing!!! The car didn’t crank with or without the key. Could I have the wrong solenoid? As the one I purchased had 4 connectors??
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

The solenoid should have two heavy duty connections ( with 7/16ths size nuts) for the main cables and some spade connectors. The cable from the battery fastens to the terminal with the two spade connectors on it. There should be one large and one small spade connector on this terminal, these feed the “always live” terminal of the fusebox ie. lights,horn etc.
The other heavy duty connection ( without any spade connectors on it) goes to the starter motor.
There should be one other small spade connector in the centre of the two heavy duty connectors, this is where the white/red wire from the ignition switch connects to and is what triggers the solenoid when you turn the key
If that’s what you’ve got and thats how it’s connected then it should all work
Come on summer
Sribs

Post by Sribs »

So I purchased another solenoid with 3 spade connectors and would you believe it... she cranks.
I can’t get her to turn over. Any idea? I was thinking chuck some fuel down her??
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

It’s my understanding that cranking and turning over means the same thing. Do you mean it won’t run?
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

There's a problem with the reproduction solenoids on the market these days. The ones that come in a green Lucas box have a terrible reputation, they fall apart inside. The old original style which can be started by manually pressing the button on the end is the best.

My Moke wouldn't crank on the key recently. I went to the mechanic for a new solenoid and he reckoned that since I had the old original style one that the solenoid was probably fine and the wiring was the problem. He was right, The white and red wire had broken at the ignition switch end.

If its turning over but not firing it could be several things. I wouldn't pour fuel down it, you'll probably just flood it. Try a squirt of starting fluid down the carby throat (I like "Start Ya Bastard", because I get to say the name). If that doesn't help, check that you are getting a spark.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Moke Talk”