Won’t Start

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Sribs

Re: Won’t Start

Post by Sribs »

Sorry Nigel I mean it won’t run. She cranks then nothing. I think it’s the spark plugs. Is it true that if it’s an orange spark it’s weak? Should I be looking for blue?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Blue is usually the colour, but a spark is a spark. All you need is air, fuel and a spark and you’re off. True, you need the spark at the right time but unless you’ve been moving the distributor or swapping the plug leads around that can be discounted. Air, well there’s plenty of that kicking around unless the filters totally blocked, which just leaves fuel!
Come on summer
Sribs

Post by Sribs »

I took the distributor cap off to check for damage. I also used a multimeter On each HT lead. I was careful to replace the leads. Can anyone confirm the firing order?

Nigel taking the cap off shouldn’t be an issue? :shock:
Sribs

Post by Sribs »

So update on my progress, after watching various you tube clips.
Distributor cap off, cleaned rotar arm. Set everything back. Reviewed the firing order which someone had tampered with and she fired up! Yay!!!!
I then tried to and reverse out the garage and the gears won’t shift. Which was a total bummer but I’m smiling like a cat as I got her started.

next problem.
When the engine is off the gears with move through the gear box. When the engine is on I can’t get the gears in. When I force into reverse it stalls the car. Help!
Jez

Post by Jez »

Trade it in and get another one ! :D

Jez
DBL 785B
Sribs

Post by Sribs »

:D Jez, connected to the car. It used to be my dads. When he passed away I kept it running.
Well doing my best to try to keep it running. :)
Jez

Post by Jez »

Only messing bud, I wouldn't part with mine for all the tea in China.

Jez
DBL 785B
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Sribs. Where are you? as a member may be near you who could help?
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Sounds like the clutch. I’ve had the same thing before and a quick fix (not necessarily a good one) was to effectively lengthen the slave cylinder push rod so that there was more travel on the arm......in my defence, it was a long time ago when I had little(er) money and not much knowledge. I must say that it did work though
I think you need to be looking at the clutch operating arm adjustment.......cue YouTube videos :lol:
Come on summer
Sribs

Post by Sribs »

Thanks Nigel. What would be better than the quick fix? What’s the long term game on the clutch.

Return to “Moke Talk”