Newbie introduction and questions

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
frenchjohn

Newbie introduction and questions

Post by frenchjohn »

Hi all, I have just taken possession of my first Moke so this is my first post, to glean some of the knowledge you good people have sorted away.
The Moke is a 1965 LHD UK built Austin, exported new to France and has spent most of its life in the South of France and Monaco. It has been resprayed red with white hood/seats to suit the colours of the Monaco flag. The engine has been replaced at some stage with another 850cc unit and the indicator stalk has been replaced by a multi-purpose indicator stalk, possibly to accommodate the replacement steering wheel without a central horn push. Apart from that it looks pretty original.
My questions are:
- The chassis number is found on a plate to the left of the engine bay (when looking at the engine) along with the Commission number plate, both of which are pop rivetted to the inner wing, is the original position?
- The 2 rubber 'bushes' that locate the bonnet to the bulkhead have hardened over time and one of them is missing a portion of the rubber. I would like to replace them, does anyone know where I can buy replacements? I have looked through the main suppliers (I have found) and none of them seem to supply them.

Many thanks for any help you can give.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Newbie introduction and questions

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Welcome to the forum. I can give you one of the answers you’re looking for. The hinge rubbers are available from the club spares department, though oddly they’re not shown in the shop!
I’ll see if I can get mark to email you with their cost and get some details so he can post some out to you.
Come on summer
frenchjohn

Post by frenchjohn »

Thank you Nigel, I did look in the club shop and couldn't find them.
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

french john.. I have seen them for sale. at run a moke. and m parts..also. in the Uk.. later bc
frenchjohn

Post by frenchjohn »

Hi Werewolf, thats great, thanks for that, I did look at both those websites but have found them on M-Parts, don't know why I didn't spot them before.
64moke

Post by 64moke »

They are the same rubbers as fitted to classic minis for holding the bonnet stay up.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

That’s correct, but be aware that there are two different sizes
Come on summer
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

french I have couple single one I found today.. like nigel just said.. two different sizes.. and the the chokes take totally different ones.. later bc

Return to “Moke Talk”