# 3 of the top ten Mini's you can buy

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Doug G
MMC Member

# 3 of the top ten Mini's you can buy

Post by Doug G »

Though that you would like to know.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Having a moking good time!
Doug G
MMC Member

Re: # 3 of the top ten Mini's you can buy

Post by Doug G »

Engine:
The great, or possibly really dreadful thing about the A-series engine is that they still work, even when technically worn out.

The oil pressure gauges fitted to earlier cars are not always reliable.

Watch out for oil being burnt in worn bores and look for oil leaks, especially at the back of the block.

Look out for oil being burnt, such as blue smoke from the exhaust and listen for the rumble of about-to-expire big ends.

Noisy tappets are easy to deal with, but rattling timing chain will need attention eventually. PICTURE: James with his own Mini Cooper
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

So you want a Mini? Here’s what to look out for…

Bodywork: All Minis (and mini Mokes) since the dawn of time rot.

Distinguish between surface rot on the seams and the structural stuff such as new sills and floors.
On 1990s Minis the rubber window seal constantly traps water.
A lack of sealant compound made the problem even worse and only genuine parts panels fit.
Also the air vent pipe that runs under the offside wing rubs against the metal and eventually bubbles through at the top.

Gearbox: Second gear synchro wears out. An exchange gearbox plus fitting is going to cost more than £1000.
Not sure I like the sound of the second gear synchro wearing out. Is there a way to 'rebuild' this?

Is a symptom of this - the gear stick popping out of second gear? :shock:
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

doug.. I own. to G wagon soft tops.. I prefer my mokes.. and yes there is way to to rebuild the tranny.. www.minisport.com does them also.. on the cheap just buy used trannys and replace. fyi . I have couple. used trannys and. I would give you to get out my way. shipping would kill you.. later bc

Return to “Moke Talk”