Electric Mokes

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Electric Mokes

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I’d say if you want to spin the rear tyres get yourself a F*rd :lol: And on a more serious note, a mini type A series won’t fit a sprite unless you change the crank and other stuff.....more trouble than it’s worth I’d have thought
Come on summer
Halfpint

Post by Halfpint »

The Hyper 9 would be (is) my choice, if (When) I do a Moke EV conversion.
Its not cheap, its a big investment and big leap for most of us.

Please keep the updates going for us, we need motivation :D
HP
Forestway

Post by Forestway »

Hey Nigel,
Its not me putting the A in Sprite, it the chap I have just bought the Moke off, he has built a number of cars, as he's into rallying and hill climbs, so I'm certain that he knows what he doing.

I've had load of cars over the years but I've never owned a mini of any type, so it going to be a steep learning curve.
Forestway

Post by Forestway »

I've put up a photo of the car on my web site...more to follow once I start stripping it down.

http://www.sec-marine.com/
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Ahh, that’s the one that’s been on eBay for a while isn’t it :D
Come on summer
Forestway

Post by Forestway »

Yeah that's the one, not exactly original but very solid, and given what I'm about to do converting a totally original one would be sacrilege.

While I am online does anyone has a CAD Drawing of a Moke in .Dwg or.Dxf ?

Cheers,
Steve
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Well, there’s this page from Roy Scott’s book
5ACCDED5-C809-43FA-A31A-E0FF35D7AC83.jpeg
Or there’s this from the orange workshop manual
46DEFD6E-D55D-44AC-84FA-343C431A6B49.jpeg
Neither of which are quite what you’re looking for though. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Come on summer
Forestway

Post by Forestway »

Many thanks Nigel,
I found a web site that had a CAD Download available for £16, so just a first pass I have overlaid the size of Tesla Model X batteries, as they are larger than S Batts, both would appear to fit OK, but the CAD doesn't actually show the max width in the rear, so I had to take a line and run it fore /aft from the edge of the windscreen as a guide.
I don't actually get my hands on the car to double check dims until next w/e
Moke X Batts.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Are the batteries a set size? Obviously if it’s all electric there’d be a big piece of space where the fuel tank used to be
Come on summer
Forestway

Post by Forestway »

I have just purchased a complete battery module from a wrecked 2018 Tesla model X, the problem is it’s huge and 500Kg, once I get it home or to work, we will set about breaking it down into the 14x 5.3Kw cells, that are approx 650x300x80mm.
I plan to use 6 or 7 of these cells in series and save the others for another project.... if this works out.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi. Why don't you check out something like Draft it from Cadlogic? you should be able to import your DWG and then draw the wheels, wheel arches and the batteries using the free program.

There are other programs out there that also do it. I trained on similar ones. Before using Cad
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Forestway

Post by Forestway »

Hi,
I've got CAD (but only use LT myself), one of my designers is also trained in Solidworks, so we have 3D Modeling capacity if needed- but I doubt it/
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

I have sold few OZ mokes to the Univ of Cali in Berkley,CA for the EV conversions.. they have even one done a moke running on Helium. good luck with this venture.. later bc
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

why ruin a perfect moke converting to EV..?? even worse than putting a honda Vtec in classic mini... later bc
Forestway

Post by Forestway »

Just to update on Progress, I now cant get the battery as its in a yard that is now locked up for the next 3 weeks, but the Motor, and other main electrical bits are on order.

After much deliberation I have decided we will be converting to RWD (in for penny in for pound) with a modified sub frame something like the image below, with the motor direct coupled to the diff, probably from a late model RX8, due to the very low final drive ratio, the 235NM (173FP) of torque doesn't start to taper off until 4500RPM at which point its doing 66MPH and maxes out at 7200 or 105MPH.... plenty I think.
Moke EV Final drive calcs.JPG
RWD Subframe.jpg

Return to “Moke Talk”