Morris vs Austin

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
texas moke

Morris vs Austin

Post by texas moke »

I am new to the MOKE world and having a great time researching my restored 1967 English version. The club is wonderful and MOKING is world class. Question: I see various early British MOKES described as both Morris and Austin. Having an extensive background in British cars, I understand MG stands for Morris Garage. Is there a production year break where some were Morris and some were Austin? Thanks for any input.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Morris vs Austin

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Morris and Austin were the core companies of BMC, as independent producers each had their own customer base and if you were an Austin lover you wouldn’t buy a Morris and vice versa. That’s why, even though there was only one model produced, they were made to look different by sticking a Morris or Austin badge on them as they went down the same production line (yes, I know VIN plates would be different)
In reality it was just a case of badge engineering, another example is the 1100/1300 range, Austin, Morris, Riley, Wolseley, MG and Vanden Plas models. Each with its own identity and dealer network often with two or more of them in each town but the same basic car.

I think they call it platform sharing these days :lol:
Come on summer
texas moke

Re: Morris vs Austin

Post by texas moke »

Thanks for the reply

Return to “Moke Talk”