My new Moke (I hope)

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
cr0we

Re: My new Moke (I hope)

Post by cr0we »

Rich Wils wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:43 Hi,

Where are you in Dorset? I’m in Christchurch and have been overhauling a Portuguese Moke that had recently been imported from Menorca, including converting it to RHD. In the process I have acquired tools and guides and should be able to offer some help if you need some. Socially distanced of course!
Hello Rich and thank you for your offer. I am on Portland so not too far away from you. I may call upon your expertise, though speaking of tools, well I just love an excuse to buy new tools - I mean who doesn't, right? :D :D
Rich Wils

Post by Rich Wils »

I agree about the tools.

I wouldn’t claim any expertise, just v recent experience.

Good luck getting it home.
cr0we

Post by cr0we »

Watch this space!
My Moke is in the UK port (in Kent I think) and is being delivered to me this Friday. All fingers and toes crossed as I won't believe it until it's in my garage!

Pictures to follow..............
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Well done. looking forward to seeing the pictures, and pictures of it on the road. :D
Having a moking good time!
cr0we

Post by cr0we »

So it's finally arrived today! I haven't seen it for a good few years and even then, I must admit that I didn't pay much attention to it. My first thought upon seeing it up close was "Oh my God, what have I gone and let myself in for!!!!" It has a fair bit of quite bad rust and body repairs/replacements to be done (and I haven't been able to see much underneath yet). This is going to take some time and thought (and money no doubt). I don't have a very big garage unfortunately.

It's currently a non-runner but the mechanicals and running gear are not too much of an issue, just a case of service, repair or replace as I go on. I'm fairly mechanically minded having worked on motorbikes for some years. It's not like there is ABS or traction control or any of that nonsense to worry about.

It had a hood on it when it arrived which is in a pretty poor state and I removed it to get a proper look at the challenge ahead. The seats are absolutely minging.

There is just a small corner of an identification sticker remaining on the underside of the bonnet which has been painted over. I might be able to carefully remove the paint but it is such a small corner, I doubt if there is any useful info on it.

When it left Cyprus, it had to have the original ownership document (equivalent of the V5C) with it for Customs clearance. Of course, there's no boot or glove box so the document was placed in a plastic pocket and left sitting on the floor in the rear footwell alongside an early Mini Haynes Manual that my dad had. So it's been sat at the docks, containerised, afloat, sat at the docks again, then trailered 100 miles or so to my house and the bit of paper was just sat there the whole time! It's a bloody miracle it was still there.

The pictures of the vehicle as a whole make it look it is in much better condition than it actually is. The close-ups reveal the gory detail.
P1020339.jpg
P1020341.jpg
P1020352.jpg
P1020365.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cr0we

Post by cr0we »

Doug G wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 19:53 pictures of it on the road. :D
How does 2022 sound?
woolfie

Post by woolfie »

Looks like you have got a good base to start the restoration . Take dozens of not hundreds of photographs for future reference. When you finish the sense of achievement will be one of the best feelings you will ever feel . Good luck my friend enjoy the journey 👍
Wind in the hair fun :D
cr0we

Post by cr0we »

Thanks. I'm off to a good start - I found the battery today!!! It's on charge but I think it is beyond saving.

I'm getting way ahead of myself too and started thinking about colours. I had the wheels of a motorbike I used to own painted in Repsol orange just like the Honda MotoGP team. Love that colour....... :D
107-0799_IMG.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Don’t you go copying my colour scheme :lol:
Come on summer
cr0we

Post by cr0we »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 19:09 Don’t you go copying my colour scheme :lol:
Show me yours then and I promise not to copy it :D :D

I just love the colour of the Repsol orange wheels I had done. They looked so good, like I could lick them and they'd taste like orange Smarties used to taste.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

405DD72E-360F-4D5D-B277-95B0A73B83E4.jpeg
It came to be that colour because it was originally going to be yellow but when I opened the tin of paint it looked rubbish so I bought a 1/2litre of Ferrari red and mixed it in until I was happy with the result
Come on summer
cr0we

Post by cr0we »

Mmmmm!

You know I said I promise not to copy it? Can I take that back? :D :D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

:lol:
Come on summer