My new Moke (I hope)

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
cr0we

My new Moke (I hope)

Post by cr0we »

Hello.

New member - first post!

My dad has very kindly offered to give me his 1973 Moke as he just doesn't use it and would like to see it used. The only slight problem is that he lives in Paphos Cyprus, and I live in Dorset, England. It's been a while since I saw it, and I am not sure if it is running or not but it has been maintained to a decent degree over the last 15 or so years since he has owned it. Very unfortunately, just after we discussed me having the car, he went and fell off a ladder and got himself hospitalised. As a result, he is quite spaced out on painkillers and not sure about a lot of things. He will mend, but it may take some time before he is able to drive again.

So my question is, has anybody got any experience of importing a car from abroad and can you offer any tips or recommendations? Obviously, I cannot go and get it at this time, and dad cannot drive it to a port (if it is currently a runner). Any help gratefully received.

Cheers
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: My new Moke (I hope)

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Welcome to the forum. It might be a silly question, but have you thought of driving it back? It’d be a roadtrip and a half that’s for sure :D
Come on summer
cr0we

Post by cr0we »

Hi. Yes, I would love to do that but I would have to be pretty sure of the mechanics of the car first. My dad drove his car - not the Moke, he bought that out there - out to Cyprus when he moved there but I think that the options for ferries have become more restricted since then (and before Covid came along too so who knows what options will be left in the near future?).

Still, it might be the best solution though. It would be a great road-trip.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

There is at least one club member that has driven hIs moke back from one of the Greek islands, many years ago mind.
Once you get it back you will have the large hill of DVLA to climb :shock:
That said, if you’re a club member then we have experts on hand to guide you through the labyrinth
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

P.S. they’ll still help you if you’re not a member.....it’ll just cost you more
Come on summer
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi, try someone like this:- https://www.shipcars.co.uk/ as for DVLA, paper work is King. We got our Portuguese registered with no major problems. Make sure you get all the paperwork from your Dad, logbook, and if possible purchase receipt.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
cr0we

Post by cr0we »

Hi and thanks for the replies. I am also now looking into the possibility of hiring a trailer and driving my reliable Peugeot out there to pick it up in person. I think that it will probably cost a similar amount to having it shipped, and I get a road trip into the bargain. I guess this might have to wait until maybe next year to give the Covid situation a time to quieten down as I can't be spending weeks in quarantine. Playing the long game.

I will definitely be joining the club anyway. It makes sense to be able to call on those with all the experience.

Cheers.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Sounds like an excellent plan, but make sure you check your car insurance for towing, and insure the trailer for recovery, as well. I found this out the hard way.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

road trip road trip road trip.. btw. I drove my morgan 4/4 from london to moscow. after US CUSTOMS sent it back to the UK.in 1980. what a trip to remember.. ok. back to the real world.. I would contact emma@mapcargo.co.uk in london. sure she can arrange this.. my guess. $2500 if it has to come by container.. $1000 IF you can do RORO.. later bill cox
cr0we

Post by cr0we »

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I don't think I would have considered recovery insurance for a trailer. And I also contacted Mapcargo to see what service they can offer.

Cheers
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

cr0we wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 17:51 Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I don't think I would have considered recovery insurance for a trailer. And I also contacted Mapcargo to see what service they can offer.

Cheers
When you tow a trailer with your car and the car breaks down, your trailer is recovered with the car. When the trailer breaks down, it is not covered by the car recovery. Discovered this when bringing my sons car back from his base in Germany.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
cr0we

Post by cr0we »

So here's my update.

I have found a shipper who will transport the car from door to door for a very reasonable price that also includes registering the car with the DVLA in the UK with age appropriate number plates.

I have a copy of the Cyprus registration certificate which shows the date of first registration (in Cyprus) as 4/8/75 and the date of manufacture as 1/1/73. However, I think this would make it an Australian car and my dad says that it is English. The date of 1/1/73 seems a bit arbitrary and may just be a guestimate by the person registering the car in Cyprus.

In order to get the correct age appropriate plate, I need to get a more accurate date I think. Is there anyone who can help me get a manufacture date from the VIN and engine numbers?

I think it's going to need quite a bit of work to get it up to scratch but it was last MOTed in 2017 so it's not that long ago that it was actually running. Its going to be a good winter project I think.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi, PM sent.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Rich Wils

Post by Rich Wils »

Hi,

Where are you in Dorset? I’m in Christchurch and have been overhauling a Portuguese Moke that had recently been imported from Menorca, including converting it to RHD. In the process I have acquired tools and guides and should be able to offer some help if you need some. Socially distanced of course!
Eamonn F

Post by Eamonn F »

Rich Wils wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:43 Hi,

Where are you in Dorset? I’m in Christchurch and have been overhauling a Portuguese Moke that had recently been imported from Menorca, including converting it to RHD. In the process I have acquired tools and guides and should be able to offer some help if you need some. Socially distanced of course!
Good afternoon Rich & sorry to hijack this thread.
Would you be interested in selling me the LHD Pedal box? I'm converting a RHD Australian Moke to LHD.

Thanks.

Return to “Moke Talk”