Moke in Transylvania

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Alex

Moke in Transylvania

Post by Alex »

Hello there,
To cut a very long story short - my father, who lives in the Transylvanian mountains, has given me his Mini Moke. He's had it since 1970, when he purchased it in London from some (allegedly) famous statesman or politician (whose name I can find out).
The Moke is a 'D' reg, dating from 1966. After my parents divorced, my father drove it from London to Transylvania in the middle of winter (he told me it was both a shockingly freezing and unforgettable trip that took a good few days). And, ever since then, he has looked after it fairly well. He was a mountain rescuer, and often used it for various missions - photos of which I can get hold of. I also have a photo of my father at the wheel of the Moke, with Zoe Ceausescu - the daughter of the toppled dictator, the notoriously naughty Nicolae Ceausescu - sitting in the back seat. My father recalled driving her and her boyfriend down a mountain road after they had been on a skiing trip.
Since the fall of communism in Romania, my father has looked after the Moke pretty well - sourcing various components and whatnot from the UK. The car was a head-turner when he drove it around the valleys and through small villages (which I am sure he loved doing, purely to show-off) - and it also was often on show at various vintage car meetings and rallies in Transylvania.
Cutting to the chase - I am considering getting the car transported back to the UK to have it potentially restored and then selling it (I am not sure whether to get it restored before selling it, or just selling it as is for someone to do up at their own pleasure). I wish I had a use for it - as I have many 'fond' memories of it, and have known about it for all my life (although I never travelled to Romania whilst it was communist). But, sadly, I cannot really see a reason for keeping it - and also could do with the money, that will help me towards bringing up my eight-year-old son.
I have been quoted in the region of £1000 to get it to the UK (I live in Brighton) - but, was wondering, first, whether it is worth it? Is it a rare specimen - the Moke in question? It certainly doesn't seem beyond repair - which is promising. Far from it. Indeed, I was in Romania in November, and took some photos of it, which I have attached. The engine still starts up perfectly, with just one twist of the key - but the car's state is certainly not road-legal. My father has always kept it in a garage - so its rust doesn't seem too bad (relatively speaking). The fairly high altitude that the car has always been might have helped - what with the cold, dry air.
I know I have waffled a lot here - and not really kept to the point.
In all - I was wondering whether the Moke would attract any interest?

Thank you for reading - and I hope something positive comes from me posting this!

Also - please excuse the poor quality of the photos.

Kind regards

Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alex on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Moke in Transylvania

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Welcome to the forum. I would say if there is anyone interested in a moke with a different and substantial history they should contact you via the pm system or ask me and I’ll supply your email to them if that’s ok.
Come on summer
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hello Nigel - and thanks for the welcome.

What you suggest is absolutely fine - and thanks for the offer.

In all - I just wanted to see whether it is worth bringing the Moke to the UK, and whether it could potentially attract interest (rather than attempting to sell it on the forum!)
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

Hi Alex. any UK moke. is worth tons of Dosh.. a 66 moke just sold on www.bringatrailer.com here in the USA for $50,000 USD.. as for transport.. might just call Emma@mapcargo.co.uk there at London Airport.. www.mapcargo.co.uk welcome.. bill cox
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

ps ALex. I have resto shop in Aylesbury UK. and could help you out with the resto IF needed.. looks like great project.. I am CASH buyer for it.. if want to sell quickly.. later bill cox
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi, there are quite a few Mini owners in Serbia, Croatia, also owners around that are around that area. A lot of the Serbian Mini owners speak English, try a post on their website. Google translate can help, may help you sell it locally.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Alex

Post by Alex »

Thank-you for your responses!

Bill Cox (Werewolf): Thanks for all that - and for the links. Cannot believe that one in the US sold for so much! It's the same colour as my father's, too, other than it is an Austin Moke rather than a Morris. Also - something I noticed, is that above the speedometer on my father's Moke, it has embossed that it is an '868cc Moke' as opposed to what, I believe, was the normal '850cc' Moke. I have tried to research that, and have found nothing on the internet in that regard. It doesn't seem my father has any idea, either.
I am currently giving the whole thing a big thought - and am increasingly eager to restore the car first before selling it. But still a little unsure.
I have attached a photo of the said writing above the speedo.

Grantourer: That's most interesting that there are a lot of Minis driving around Serbia and Croatia! I have seen a fair few old and restored Minis in Bucharest - so it comes as no surprise. I will have a peruse of the Serbian Mini owners' website. Thanks for the info!

Also - someone called Jez wrote me a PM, but, for some reason, I am unable to reply. I see he lives in Bexhill, which is just along the coast - and when I get the car to the UK, he would be more than welcome to see it, if he wants. I am currently looking at storing it in Eastbourne, where my mum used to live (not that that is relevant!)

Kind regards

Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Alex, once you’ve passed the moderation period you will have full access to all the features of the forum including sending pm’s
Come on summer
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

alex.. the color , me thinks. is spruce green.. later bc

Return to “Moke Talk”