Moke original tyre fittment

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Farmer

Moke original tyre fittment

Post by Farmer »

Hi, we have owned our Moke pickup from new in 1965 and I am well under way with its restoration.I am ready to fit new tyres and I can't remember what was fitted to our Mk1 car. I believe that the Dunlop SP44 Weathermaster was often fitted. I do know that we used Town and Country tyres in winter as it was used every day for milk deliveries but were they original fitments. Do any of our excellent archivists know what would have been fitted to my Moke? It is being restored to original condition and it would be correct to use original figment tyres if possible. Thanks
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: Moke original tyre fittment

Post by grantourer »

Hi, you need some of these, reproduced from the original mould:-

https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/tyres ... thermaster
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

Coker.. Tyre in Tenn.. also has them.. but they are AWFUL proud of them.. just check to price out.. later bc
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

They are available but I want to know if they were original equipment in 1965. If not, then which tyres were original fitments at that time?
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Check chapter 3 in Moke the History by the Moke Club. Pictures of Mokes with and without Weathermasters.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

well.. to me TYRES are just TYRES.. as long as they are NOT dry rotted.. and have proper tread.. and NOT more than 3 years old.. and I sure do NOT want to own a trailer QUEEN moke.. ( or anything else.. ) mokes made to be driven.... later bc
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

The only trailer that my Moke will see will be the one it is towing. I have restored it with the idea that I want it to be in its original condition. I have never modified it over the years and I intend to keep it that way. As I need new tyres all round I feel that it is an opportunity to put on the original fitments if I can find out what they were. When restored it will be used, not abused, as I do with my Land Rover Series 1. That is used on and off road but on non damaging routes. That took me five winters to restore and it still looks good. After putting in so much work I take care with it but it would not interest me if I couldn't use it for the purposes for which it was designed.
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

Farmer.. if you using 10 inchers.. you can NOT go wrong with Yoko 008s.. this is my preference on 10s.. and also 12 inch rims.. later bc

Return to “Moke Talk”