Aussie Shell

The place for eBay Moke alerts/comments/moans and laughs
chris naish

Aussie Shell

Post by chris naish »

Someone more 'Au Fait' with E bay will doubtless upload,but there's an aussie shell that's to me a bit odd. It's rusty as hell, but the petrol filler is on the side, I thought only the galvanised ones had this? It's also LHD, but the header tank for the rad is where the master cylinders should be. He also wants fortunes for it!!!
Regards
Chris Naish.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Aussie Shell

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Come on summer
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

chris naish wrote:Someone more 'Au Fait' with E bay will doubtless upload,but there's an aussie shell that's to me a bit odd. It's rusty as hell, but the petrol filler is on the side, I thought only the galvanised ones had this? It's also LHD, but the header tank for the rad is where the master cylinders should be. He also wants fortunes for it!!!
Regards
'Galvanised' ones will rust just as well as the next one!

Though the Hot Dipped ones do fair better.

grantourer wrote:Or is it this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mini-moke-pro ... escription
That looks pretty desperate! Or Hopeless!
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
chris naish

Post by chris naish »

I meant the red one...totally agree with Spider!! I've got an 81 galvanised..just hoped it was 'hot dipped'...doesn't appear to be rotting....
Chris Naish.
Tim

Post by Tim »

It is galv, you can see bits of it showing through where the paint has fallen off, as usual.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
64moke

Post by 64moke »

Hi
Does any one know which moke's got the hot dipped galvanising. :?:
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

As far as I know, none were ever factory hot dipped.
Maybe one or two have been done during restorations, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it....

Roger G
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
Tim

Post by Tim »

As I understand it, the zinc coating applied to the steel was in fact hot dipped. The sheet material used was something like Galvabond G3N which is hot dipped, then rolled to give it a smooth(ish) finish.

However by the time the sheets were cut, pressed, seamed, spot welded, brazed, etc into the Moke body, all of those operations take off some of the zinc, so the panels have vulnerable spots all around their edges.

I imagine that if a body could be dipped after it was built up it would be much better protected. but the dipping operation can cause heat distortion and it leaves the surface pretty rough - often with icicles of zinc hanging off - so its not great for a shiny painted finish.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Tim,
as well as Zintec (electroliticaly coated sheets) some may have been through dipped when de-coiled. (I think this is the case with some Ausy shells)
But hot dipping a shell? Crikey that would take some doing, you'd have to have so many vent and drain holes to prevent build up of solid zinc in the corners that the Moke would look like the proverbial Swiss cheese!
Even then, the galvanizers wouldn't be happy with the way a lot of Moke panels are lapped over each other and spot welded. This type of joint always has a gap which would retain acid when the shell is treated prior to the zinc dip. When the shell goes into the zinc, the acid vapourises and causes an explosion in the zinc firing molten metal all over the place. They're not too keen on this and will reject work if it doesn't fit their criteria.

Roger G
Tim

Post by Tim »

I don't think Aussie mokes were made of electrolytically plated steel, like zintec. I'm pretty certain it was hot dipped like galvabond. The two materials look quite different. Zinc plate is typically a uniform silver grey all over, whereas hot dipped has a characteristic spangled pattern, like this.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... %A4che.jpg

When the paint falls off a 'galv' moke, you can see the spangled pattern.

Galvanized steel was used very widely in construction and housing in Australia, so there was plenty of it available.

Tim
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Tim,
Well I thought they were spangled hot dip sheets, but I had some panels ages ago that I thought were Australian produced, but were definitely zintec.
Maybe they were Portuguese produced......
How come Spider's away when you need a definitive answer?
Any further info Tim?

Cheers
Roger G
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

4XMOKE wrote: How come Spider's away when you need a definitive answer?
Cheers
Roger G
Yeah, how come he's always on Safari?
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Not safari nuff some say :P
Come on summer
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

spider wrote:
4XMOKE wrote: How come Spider's away when you need a definitive answer?
Cheers
Roger G
Yeah, how come he's always on Safari?
Yeah, and how come he's on here when he's supposed to be spending time with his pan rattler ? (She's gonna kill me!)

Roger G

Return to “eBay”