1275 transplant

NevisMoke

1275 transplant

Post by NevisMoke »

I've just found a stash of 3 1275 Turbo long blocks, ran in the past year. Only $800ECD each, which translates to about $300 US dollars. Single SU carbs each. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Besides upgrading the exhaust at the same time, what is involved?
Regards,

Chris
1989 Portugese
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: 1275 transplant

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

By a long block do you mean that they are everything but the gearbox ? Because it's a (fairly) straight forward swap from a 998 to a 1275 .
There will, however, be some details in the bits and bobs used that differ e.g. The themostat housing
Come on summer
NevisMoke

Post by NevisMoke »

Yes.

So what are the bits and bobs, Nigel?
Regards,

Chris
1989 Portugese
Tim

Post by Tim »

The only major difference is the stuff around the thermostat housing on the head, where for some unknown reason BMC rotated the thermostat housing by a few degrees. Depending on exactly what you are starting with you might be able to use the existing thermostat just turnied a bit. You would normally also need a new engine steady bracket, top radiator bracket and top radiator hose. There might also be some hassles at the other end with things like the primary drive gear and the bushes on the transfer gear. Also if the 1275 flywheel is the one with the big raised flange on its end, it can foul on the little pointer thats cast into the clutch cover for doing the timing. There might be a couple of dowels in the clutch end case and where the block attaches to the gearbox that are different too. Nothing very hard though.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

One other thing, If they are tubo blocks won't the compression ratio be lower Tim ?
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:One other thing, If they are tubo blocks won't the compression ratio be lower Tim ?
Good point Nigel, I know nothing about turbos, we never got them here. Sounds like a bit of googling might be required.

Tim
NevisMoke

Post by NevisMoke »

Is that a problem? They come with the turbo's, wastegate, etc...
Regards,

Chris
1989 Portugese
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I didn't realise they were complete units !
When you put a turbo A series in a Mini you have to cut out some of the bulkhead for clearance of the turbo so I should think you will have to prepare yourself for some panel beating/fabricating of the bodywork :roll:
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

The Metro Turbos weren't much good. As far as i know they don't have an intercooler and don't run much boost, but they are more complex, heavier and require body modifications as compared to standard.

That said, the Metro Turbo was the most powerful production A series and they might be a good starting point for a more modern turbo- or supercharger to be fitted. At that price I'd buy them all.

Tim
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Tim

Post by Tim »

Nice one Dean, especially the bit in the "Where to begin" section which says which bits you can get from a Metro and which bits you need to get from elsewhere.

Tim
Gijzzy

Post by Gijzzy »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Because it's a (fairly) straight forward swap from a 998 to a 1275 .
Is it from 1000 ---> 1275?
Otherwise you need (850 -->1275) to make a hole in the floor pannel for the gear leaver.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Depending on which gearboxes you have, there are shorter extensions and different change mechanisms available that should allow you to fit pretty much any Mini style gearbox into a Moke without cutting the floor.

Tim
govig

Post by govig »

I have a 7,000 miles from new 1996 SPi motor left over from another project and want to put it in my Portuguese Moke. I will be going back from SPi to a single carb which will be either a HS4, HIF38 or HIF44 . Has anyone done this conversion in a Moke and successfully used the HIF carb?

I need to know if there's enough bulkhead clearance for the float chamber using an alloy inlet manifold.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've never done it, but I held an HIF44 alongside my HS4 and it looks like there is room. If you did it without a spacer there would be a couple of centimetres. With a spacer, maybe a cm. I have a minisport alloy inlet manifold.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”