Sump Guard Plate

paulbeard

Sump Guard Plate

Post by paulbeard »

Does anyone have a picture, dimensions or better still a plate for sale that bolts to the sump of the english moke (behind the sump guard) its the one with a curve ? to it. Thanks Paul
Ezeltje

Re: Sump Guard Plate

Post by Ezeltje »

Welcome to The Club, Paul.

Sorry not for sale, but.... , if nothing shows up, I'm glad to take some dimensions.

André
-/__MOKE MY DAY__\-
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Paul,
Mine is not for sale. :D
But it happens to be off the car right now* so I took some dimensions. Shoot me an e-mail address and I'll shoot you a pdf file.
I've also sent you a PM
Robin
*-The reason it's not on the car is that I'm missing the countersink lock washers. And, no, they're not the standard flat star washer... Yes, they make countersink star lockwashers weird eh? Had to have been a Brit's idea. :roll:
The threaded holes in the sump case aren't very deep. (understandable) I tried fitting without the lock washers and the screws just bottom out before the guard is tight. The damned thing buzzed so badly I had to take it off.
I could probably take a bit off the length of the flat head screws but, with the threads so shallow, don't think it's such a good idea...
I can source the countersink lockwashers from McMaster Carr over here but really don't think I'll ever use 500 of the things. :roll:
So, does anyone have some of these laying around they could drop into an envelope?
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

1. To PaulBeard --- miniSport (I'm sure) sell what's called a sump guard extension plate .... I think that's what you're looking for Paul.

2. To ezeltje Take a look at the top of the inside front page of your copy of Moking :wink:

3. To Robin Jones. What size bolts are they (that you need the washers for) ?

4. I suppose really I should check the forum more often, then I wouldn't have to reply en-masse like this

I could reply individually (and, perhaps, get my posting tally near Dougs :) )
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

:D :D :D
Having a moking good time!
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Nigel,
They're 5/16-24 unf flat head cap screws....
Like I said, only the Brits could come up with something this weird... Must've designed themselves into a corner at some point using flat head screws that started coming loose... And some bright engineer thinks, "Well all we need is a lockwasher..." Instead of figuring out a better way of attaching this to that... :roll:
Just looked again at the McMaster Carr web site and now they're selling 'em in 100 qty packages... (previously when I checked it was 1000 minimum.)
I'll probably order a bag if anyone is interested...
http://www.mcmaster.com/#90069a130/=26ct4x
Dunno if the link will work but it's the second set of washers down the page...
Tim

Post by Tim »

Image?

Tim
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: 2. To ezeltje Take a look at the top of the inside front page of your copy of Moking :wink:
Nigel, I think André's comment was tongue in cheek. He's been a member of the Club almost as long as Paul has and I'm sure has shared many IMM beers with him in the dim and distant past.
Dean
PJ

Post by PJ »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:1. To PaulBeard --- miniSport (I'm sure) sell what's called a sump guard extension plate .... I think that's what you're looking for Paul.
Nigel,

If you're thinking of Minisport Part No. MORMS0373, this is a sheet of Dural to extend the 'RAC' type sumpguard back to provide protection for the diff. housing, rod/remote change and LCB 'Y' piece.

The only reason I can see for fitting the original style sump-plate is originality - something I'm not bothered about, but that's down to individual choice. Functionally, it has nothing going for it: being sat against and screwed to the sump, any knocks are transmitted straight to the gearbox casing which it is supposed to be protecting - all it does is obstruct the airflow over the finned sump section of the case.
For serious off-roading I'd be looking at the Dural RAC 'guard + extension, although I'd need to check it clears the exhaust, given that I'm now using the Maniflow with the big 'S' bend for clearance.

PJ
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

PJ,
Have you got any piccies of your exhaust system?
Dean
PJ

Post by PJ »

Dean wrote:PJ,
Have you got any piccies of your exhaust system?
Dean
I can take one if you want ......... but it's still behind the settee in the lounge!

Still chasing up my rebore and new diff/final drive gears: I'm beginning to appreciate Dougs frustration over getting hold of parts. What started off at Easter as a (promissed) 4 week engine/transmission upgrade has dragged on and on - We've just had what is probably the best weather since I bought the thing 2 1/2 years ago and it's still spread all over the garage floor (see gallery). Unfortunately this is my last free weekend before IMMM - and that's without worrying about getting to Hollowell. A lot of burning of midnight oil is on the cards, I fear.

PJ
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!
paulbeard

Post by paulbeard »

Thanks for all for the replies, Andy and Robin have come up trumps with pictures, and plans, I am sure my mate Steve who wants one for his old Moke can get it made now. See you in Birmingham I hope. Paul.
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

I was reminded today of one issue as I was changing the oil...
If you are going to use the factory front sump guard, and have the whole car apart as I did... fit the guard up to the subframe and weld in some nuts. Although it's still a pain in the butt, you can at least remove the sumpguard being a bit less of a contortionist. I could have used either a helper or longer (monkey) arms.
Removing the front sump guard lets you get an oil filter socket up there on a long extension... and, although you still dump some oil all over everything, there's a bit less of a mess.
Ah, the joys of an English Moke without a removable grill. :roll:
Looking forward to IMM in a few weeks. :D
Now, who was it that was going to bring me some of those washers????
These days it seems my forgettery is much better than my memory. :roll:

And, as far as the whole thing being a poor design goes... I dunno. If you're using the factory front sump guard, it protects you from bashing in the front side of the gearbox. The bottom sled type is just to get you over the rock or whatever without damaging the bottom of the gearbox.
The only downsides I can see are:
1.) The slight reduction in cooling... Air can come in at the front of the sled and exit out the back so I really don't think it would be much of an reduction.
2.) If you do run over a good size rock, it would put an upwards strain on the motor mounts which weren't designed for that. I would doubt if a couple of hits would do any real harm though. People have been jacking up Minis 'n Mokes by the bottom of the gearcase and getting away with it for years. :roll: Not me though... the front sumpguard makes a very stout jacking point. :D
paulbeard

Post by paulbeard »

Hi Robin, sorry I have been out of contact for a while, computer problems etc, I will be at the IMM and I or Steve will have your washers, or give us your address to mail them after. See you for a pint there. Paul
5portsrock

Post by 5portsrock »

Hi, does ayone have any pictures / dimensions etc they could send me of this?? Many thanks

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”