Automatic Moke

Jersey Moke

Automatic Moke

Post by Jersey Moke »

Hi

Can anyone tell me if they every produced a Moke with an automatic transmission ?

Thanks

Nick.
Tim

Re: Automatic Moke

Post by Tim »

I don't think so, but there are a couple around with conversions from Minis or Morris 1100s.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

An auto-Moke.... That's a bit decadent
Come on summer
Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke »

The reason I ask is that my father is looking at a moke which is an automatic. Would this effect the price ?
Tim

Post by Tim »

In general terms the further you get from original spec the less a modification becomes worth, but it really depends on how badly the buyer wants an automatic Moke.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to convert back to manual. You would need to swap the power unit, front subframe and clutch master cylinder and pedal or pedal box.

I haven't had a lot of experience with autos, but my friend who has an automatic Moke says that the 998s are too underpowered to consider and that it really needs to be a 1275.

Tim
Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke »

Thanks for that Tim, you have just backed up what I had told my dad.

The car in question is any 1986 and he is looking at £10k for the car, I personally think that that is far to much.

So we will keep on looking...
bnicho

Post by bnicho »

I think I'm the friend Tim is referring to.
8)

My Moke has a 1275 auto from a metro in it. It goes quite well. My major criticism of it is the final drive is a bit tall for 13" Rims and normal Aussie Moke tyres. I run slightly lower profile rubber to compensate. On a little wheeler or a Cagiva the gearing would be fine.

I reckon a 998 auto in a Moke would be slow because there isn't enough torque to overcome the blunt Moke aerodynamics and the minor power loss from the auto.

I've had a few people want to buy mine over the years because it was Auto. Mostly because they or their partner can't drive a manual. One enquiry was from a company that rents Mokes to tourists. They get plenty of customers who are disappointed they can't hire an Auto Moke.
"Sell you my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!"
Mopoke - 1971 Aussie Big Wheeler Moke with 1275 A+ powah.
Plus classic Minis and a Beetle just to mix things up a bit.
tim.hodges

Post by tim.hodges »

Hi bnicho just wondering where in Oz you had the auto conversion done or know of where it was done and what cost I could be looking at all up if they did everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Nick Rouault wrote:Hi

Can anyone tell me if they every produced a Moke with an automatic transmission ?

Thanks

Nick.
The factory (in the UK) did offer them, but I don't know if any were built / sold that way.

Most people do or have done their own conversions, however, as bnicho has said, if running 13" wheel, the diff is less than ideal.

You'll need a donor Auto Engine with the gearbox (of course), you do need the engine with it as the Auto Engines are different to the manual ones and not remotely a straight forward swap, and you'll need an Auto front Subframe, one from a dry or rubber cone suspension Mini would be best, but even a Hydrolastic one can be used.

I did a conversion for my brother's Moke about 2 years ago, with some pointers from bnicho, cheers for that! It's not at all a hard conversion to do, but you'll want some space and a few tools to do it.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

dion at www.djminis.com in westley chapel florida has done fee conversions to AUTO.. of course you need the wider Auto front sub frame and engine and auto tranny. I do recommend the 1275 cc engine.. figure engine, tranny sub and front sub swap here in USA. about $4-5k.. bc
Tim

Post by Tim »

Brett did it himself. The simplest way to do it would be to get a late model automatic mini and use the parts from it. Apart from the power unit the biggest item you need is the front subframe.

Brett has changed back to manual now.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
bnicho

Post by bnicho »

Hi,

I'm still lurking. :)

The top/reverse clutch on my Auto eventually expired. My plans had changed for my Moke from city fun to bush trips and long distance touring. Hence it made sense to go back to 1275 manual. I have saved the auto parts for possible future use in a Mini.

The conversion was easy. There was a small wiring mod required to hook up the inhibitor switch so the Moke could not be started in gear. The shifter cable also needs careful rerouting or shortening depending where you want to place it on the the tunnel. Otherwise everything just bolts in.

Cheers,
Brett.
"Sell you my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!"
Mopoke - 1971 Aussie Big Wheeler Moke with 1275 A+ powah.
Plus classic Minis and a Beetle just to mix things up a bit.

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”