Engine number??

janz
MMC Member

Re: Engine number??

Post by janz »

I might be wrong.... memory is a precious thing, easily lost due to euphoria, age and alcohol :roll: :lol: but the low compression engine for home market would have been for 2* leaded fuel which would have been somewhere between 87 and 91 octane rating. The 'distributor for regular fuel' bit would relate to the timing adjusted for that fuel I guess. 4* fuel was 93 octane and 5* (JET used to sell this close to race circuits - wonder why 8) ) was 97 to 100 octane.

Question then.... were Mokes intentionaly made with High and Low compression engines?
If so, why bother with the FA bit?
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Bodge

Post by Bodge »

I've just looked back to some official looking paperwork that was reproduced in issue 6 of Moke News back in 1984. It says:

Technically the Moke is similar to the standard Mini 848cc models, the main difference being a slightly detuned engine, by using a different type of ignition distributor (Lucas 25D4-40767E) for use with low grade for economy of operation.

Back in the sixties, you could buy the equivalent of one star petrol which was called "Commercial". This was when two star was called "Regular", three star was "Extra", four star was "Premium" and five star was "Super". It has always been my understanding that the Moke was produced as standard with the detuned engine which could run on low grade "commercial" petrol. When the "FA" was stamped on engines, it denoted that that the engine had been upgraded for use with Regular (two star) petrol and not the other way round.

In Europe we may have a higher proportion of engines with "FA" because two star petrol was more widely available.

Bearing this in mind, I also don't have any answers why engines were made in high or low compression variants.

Roger
Ezeltje

Post by Ezeltje »

Well, according to the Mechanical Part book from 1965 indeed the only difference is the distributor for Premium or Regular fuel.
Technically the Moke is similar to the standard Mini 848cc models, the main difference being a slightly detuned engine, by using a different type of ignition distributor (Lucas 25D4-40767E) for use with low grade for economy of operation.
This could be easy to explain as Tuning = High compression, Detuning = Low compression.

All we have to see now is an engine tag with an L.

Now, as I still have the 25D4-40767E distributor, can I tune the engine if I put in a distributor for Premium fuel?

Happy Moking

André
-/__MOKE MY DAY__\-
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Both Gijzzy and I have 848 engines with L tags..... admittedly, his is in a Moke, mine is on a work bench... but confirmed by Heritage Certificate
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Gijzzy

Post by Gijzzy »

I do not have it in my moke, but only on the certificate. Need to check my moke engine in storrage (not original engine but an other moke engine).
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Due to the mists of its origin, my Mini Moke's serial number is the same as the engine number. :lol:
Having a moking good time!
1967moke

Post by 1967moke »

I know this is an old thread, and it says engine number, but it does mention the Moke distributor being a 25D 40767E, can anyone tell me what the E stands for at the end of the numbers. And maybe the difference with a 25D 40767F?
Thanks
Roy
swemoke
MMC Member

Post by swemoke »

This is weary interesting, a friend he also has a 40767E and I have a 40767F.

The only different between these two cars, my car is produced December 1967 and distributor October 1967 (1067) engine number 6792 and his 3 February 1965 and distributor January 1965 (165) engine number 1235, ok one more thing my car was for Sweden and his for the African market.

If you look at this LIST the are no 40767E
F = Mini commercial models, Moke and special order
A = 848 Mini UK Vehicles Regular Fuel

In the part catalog they are to different distributor one up to engine number 2169 part.nr 12A 1037 and one other from engine number 2170 part.nr 12A 1156 so maybe this is explanation bu if I look at the part inside both these distributor, a sealing is the only difference.

Regards
Thomas
1967moke

Post by 1967moke »

Thanks for that Thomas, I'm now wondering if the E was for export/Africa market which probably had low grade fuel and F for the home/European/American market with slightly better quality fuel?

Roy

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”