Engine number??

swemoke
MMC Member

Engine number??

Post by swemoke »

Hi all.
I wonder if anyone can help to find out what the "extra" letters-A stands for.
On the sheet it stands 8AC-A U-H6792 and my question is regarding the A between C and U.

This -A is stamped from above while the other letters are from the underside so this must has been stamped afterwards.
But what does it mean, at the moment I only have a bad photo from my mobile phone.

Regards
Thomas
Ezeltje

Re: Engine number??

Post by Ezeltje »

Hi,

It should read FA, and stands for low compresion. Mokes can run on low octane petrol.

André
-/__MOKE MY DAY__\-
swemoke
MMC Member

Post by swemoke »

Hi André,

FA? It’s only –A and before the serial number it’s an H which means high compression :shock:
But yes it feels strange, I have heard the same as you say is a low compression engine.

As I understand it (before), means letters and numbers the following
8= 850cc
AC= Moke (A Austin)
A= ??
U= Floor gear shift
H= High compression
And last the series number

//Thomas
Ezeltje

Post by Ezeltje »

Hi Thomas,

I think that every engine supposed to be a high compression engine, only for some export countries that had low octane petrol, BMC made the low compression engine, as well for our Mokes.

So they must have put the FA in by hand, as mine doesn’t also look very clear.

And even the ignition timing is different, as you may have noticed.

André
-/__MOKE MY DAY__\-
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Very interesting André.... I knew that English 850 Mokes had low compression engines, but not that the FA stamp indicated that. Anyway I checked my English and......
Thanks for that little 'gem'
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
swemoke
MMC Member

Post by swemoke »

Thanks André you are 100% correct, with glasses or a better camera I can see what is part of an F :shock:

Is there any documentation on this FA, and what is the difference/modifications between standard and FA engine in detail?

//Thomas
Ezeltje

Post by Ezeltje »

Is there any documentation on this FA, and what is the difference/modifications between standard and FA engine in detail?
I’ve seen it somewhere, but I can’t remember where, will keep an eye on it.

Nice subject B.T.W. 3 different FA stamps.

André
-/__MOKE MY DAY__\-
Tim

Post by Tim »

Interesting thread this. I like it when I learn something new!

We don't have aluminium engine number tags here. When the engines arrived the tags were removed and the number stamped directly into the block for security purposes. My Mini traveller was a private import and it escaped, so wears its aluminium tag proudly.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Ezeltje wrote:Nice subject B.T.W. 3 different FA stamps.André
Could get even more interesting..... bought a basket case - future restoration 66 Moke a while back. Built 1964 and with the original engine as per heritage certificate and V5 document. The engine number is 8AC-FA-U-L888. Does the L instead of the H mean it was intended for export market?
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Until you have the block skimmed Tim :cry:
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

True Nigel, but there are ways and means. For example its quite possible to skim a block and leave the number intact, because the bit its stamped on is off to the side. Alternatively in some states the police issue special numbers for blocks that have been skimmed. In my state we just skim them and stamp the old number back on. No-one seems to mind.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

you've jogged my memory now, years ago I managed to pull the rivets that hold the plate on out. they are a spiral type rivet, so if you grip the head tightly and twist anticlockwise as you're pulling they (may) come out
Come on summer
Gijzzy

Post by Gijzzy »

Ezeltje wrote:I’ve seen it somewhere, but I can’t remember where, will keep an eye on it.
I thought it is mentioned in the 'Mechanical service parts list Austin and Morris Mini Moke' but as I'm on holiday I can't confirm it :mrgreen: .
Maybe my moke would be interesting (again :D ), according to the Heritage Certificate:

Engine Number: 8AC-FA-U-L/2923 (Engine number on a old V5: 8AC UH 2923 :?: )
Specification: RHD, Home Market
Destination (Dealer): Car Mart Limited, Catford
Details of Factory Fitted Equipment: Low compression engine

I thought that the L stands for Low and H for High but we need a source to confirm!
swemoke
MMC Member

Post by swemoke »

Gijzzy wrote:I thought it is mentioned in the 'Mechanical service parts list Austin and Morris Mini Moke' but as I'm on holiday I can't confirm it :mrgreen:
Thanks, I check in the part list and FA stands for "Distributor for regular fuel" and H stands for High and L for Low as we says before.

//Thomas
Gijzzy

Post by Gijzzy »

One more question why do I have a Low compression engine for a home market moke :?: .

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”