Moke Engine, subframe removal

j Beeton

Moke Engine, subframe removal

Post by j Beeton »

Hi,all first of a million questions!! Having managed to get the engine in my new toy to turn over- pouring diesel into cylinders and rocking the car in gear over a week period, I am now not sure as to next step. Should I try to turn over on the battery/starter motor and or try to start the car , or should I know take the engine out and check it over first- it has been stood for 23 years and has done around 7k miles so I dont want to damage it.
If it has to come out how? I seem to remember the engine mounts are undone from the engine side of the subframe
which with a fixed grill will be impossible?, also the radiator likewise... Is there a secret moke trick to doing this!!
Finally for now , I would like to clean up the rear sub frame, is this relatively easy to remove?
Thanks...James :)
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Moke Engine, subframe removal

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

It's just one of the joys of mini :D Seriously though, the two engine mounts have bolts that are accessible from the outside of the subframe. Look under the wheel arches (easier to see with the wheels off). Admittedly you'll probably have to slide a 1/2"spanner up the inside to hold the bolt head , but it IS possible
Come on summer
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Me? As long as the engine turns freely, I would take a shot at starting it up. When you first started breaking it loose, either the rings freed up or broke up.
If you decide to pull the lump, think about what other work needs to be done. I pulled mine subframe and all out the bottom since I had a lot of work to do on the suspension. (Much easier on the bench than on the car)
Top or bottom removal, just make sure you take a photo like this....
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Thanks! Great photo, didn,t realise you could get a pedal car version of a moke :D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

More like a whack-a-mole game :lol:
Come on summer
Motor-Mouse

Post by Motor-Mouse »

Great Photo.... M-M
Last edited by Motor-Mouse on Sat Dec 14, 2013 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Nice friendly engine you have there Robin :)

Not too many like yours! Most bite!!

James - if you are going to start your engine, I'd suggest changing the oil and oil filter then winding it over until you get oil pressure up, then start it. That it was locked up after such a long storage period, I'd say as others here have that the rings were rusted to the bores, consequently, the bores will have a divit in them where the rings were and the face of the rings (at the very least) will be scuffed beyond usability. You've not much to loose from giving it a run, but I wouldn't get high hopes of it not being a smoker. You'll also find probably that the oil seals will have gone hard and won't seal too well.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Motor-Mouse

Post by Motor-Mouse »

I agree with the last post, it'll probably smoke anyway, and if it were me, for the cost of a head gasket and a few hours of cleaning, I'd be all for having a look in the bores first. Once a rod has gone through the side of an engine block, your matching numbers car will just be another Moke, with the wrong engine!, Plus its fun taking a look first, and will teach you one of the simplest tasks on an A series engine...., but if you are going to be taking the whole thing out and in to pieces anyway, why bother seeing it run until you built it up nice and new... I really don't see what he rush is. I certainly wont just be firing my new/old barn find Moke up to please a five minute head rush for it going vroom, to give myself weeks of potentially expensive work if it seizes, or drops a valve head off...... At least change the oil, and check there isn't a score in the bore first.....
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Motor-Mouse wrote:Sesame Street came to mind.... Great Photo.... M-M
Well, at least I didn't get any Ned Flanders references. :roll:
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Diddly did :D
Come on summer
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Thanks all, the cautious route was what I had in my head, but the old slap some fuel in and fire up was beckoning!! So I will take the risk free route and take the engine out and give it a once over... And anyway I need to get a photo poking out of the engine bay , mine will be Mr grumpy though! Natural expression for a Project Manager.
:evil:
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

j Beeton wrote:Thanks all, the cautious route was what I had in my head, but the old slap some fuel in and fire up was beckoning!! So I will take the risk free route and take the engine out and give it a once over... And anyway I need to get a photo poking out of the engine bay , mine will be Mr grumpy though! Natural expression for a Project Manager.
hang on a minute. I am a project manager, and definitely no grumpy!!
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

j Beeton wrote:Thanks all, the cautious route was what I had in my head, but the old slap some fuel in and fire up was beckoning!! So I will take the risk free route and take the engine out and give it a once over... And anyway I need to get a photo poking out of the engine bay , mine will be Mr grumpy though! Natural expression for a Project Manager.
You might consider cleaning the carburettor jet and float chamber etc before you try starting it.
Having a moking good time!

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”