Half shaft or other ? ? ? ? ? ?

Doug G
MMC Member

Half shaft or other ? ? ? ? ? ?

Post by Doug G »

Put the Mini Moke into gear and tried to drive off.
There was a 'clunk' and we stopped.

The Mini Moke will not move (unless pushed).

The engine starts and revs.
The clutch operates - BUT when in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th the left drive shaft turns. The right drive shaft does not move.

When in 3rd and 4th and you rev lightly there is a 'rubbing' sound, much less so when in 1st.

When the gears are in neutral neither left and right drive shaft turn.

What is the problem, broken driveshaft ?? Other ?

Any suggestions to get back on the road?
Having a moking good time!
Doug G
MMC Member

Re: Half shaft or other ? ? ? ? ? ?

Post by Doug G »

What should I be looking for?

Differential Pin

OR Diff Output Shaft - Pot Joint

OR OTHER ?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Whatever it is I should think the engine will have to come out. Also,if it's an internal problem with the gearbox (that's what it sounds like) don't try running the engine, if there is a lump of broken metal in there it will probably try and get out through the casing :shock:
Come on summer
chris naish

Post by chris naish »

Nearside driveshaft has broken...normally by the circlip in the CV joint. I'm old...been doing this for years!!!
Chris Naish.
spider
MMC Member

Re: HELP re Mini Moke req

Post by spider »

Broken LH Driveshaft. Not altogether uncommon, although it is more common to break the RH Shaft. Fairly easy to fix, the most difficult part can be getting the broken off piece out of the CV.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Doug G
MMC Member

Re: HELP re Mini Moke req

Post by Doug G »

spider wrote:Broken LH Driveshaft. Not altogether uncommon, although it is more common to break the RH Shaft. Fairly easy to fix, the most difficult part can be getting the broken off piece out of the CV.
The LEFT shaft spins when put into gear.

The RIGHT shaft does not move when in gear or out of it.

Are you sure it is the LH (Left) driveshaft ?
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Doug,
Presumably this is while the moke is on its wheels, if so then if the LH drive shaft is turning but the wheel isnt, then as the other guys have said, the drive shaft has sheared inside the cv joint. Therefore all the power will take the least line of resistance and turn the now free LH shaft, the RH shaft being ok and still cnnected to the wheel via the CV joint will not turn itself or the wheel as its easier to turn the now free running LH shaft.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Wally2 wrote:Hi Doug,
Presumably this is while the moke is on its wheels, if so then if the LH drive shaft is turning but the wheel isnt, then as the other guys have said, the drive shaft has sheared inside the cv joint. Therefore all the power will take the least line of resistance and turn the now free LH shaft, the RH shaft being ok and still cnnected to the wheel via the CV joint will not turn itself or the wheel as its easier to turn the now free running LH shaft.
Chris
So based on what has been said on this thread I need one of these?

Diff Output Shaft - Pot Joint

Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Doug,
No I think you need a new drive shaft, the shaft with splines on both ends which goes between the inner pot joint and the outer CV joint as its proberbly broken at the CV end where the circlip undercut is machined in. You need to get the correct one as the right and left are different lengths.

Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

You'll be wanting an outer CV too if that's the case, as you won't be able to get the bit of shaft out of it
Come on summer
PJ

Post by PJ »

Last edited by PJ on Mon Mar 07, 2016 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

wally2 is correct here. There is NO need to remove the engine, it's a fairly simple fix. You will need to remove the hub though.

PJ, I'm hearin' ya on what you are saying about drive shafts breaking, I also have some fast Mini's and these are on smaller wheel's than Doug's Moke, so you get a double whammy of torque put through the drive shafts on the big wheel Mokes, firstly from it having bigger wheels and secondly because of the increase in ratio with the Final Drive (which is around 4.2:1 because it has bigger wheels!).

I've broken heaps of them and I generally run stock engines in my Mokes. Here's the last one I broke on the Birdsville - Mt Isa leg of my Cape York trip;-

The offending shaft

The broken bit that's left inside the CV

It took longer to make the coffee than it did the repair!

The dead set worst part of doing the repair is the CV Grease, there is nothing on Earth like it! YAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKK
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Spider,
How did you get the broken end out of the CV? as there's nothing to get hold of to overcome the end ring? Presumbaly if the break is on the circlip groove the circlip will just drop out, but the shaft is held in with the round section spring ring?
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Don't stop with the advice, pics and info.

I will save all this for saturday morning.

Plan to have a camera to take plenty pics. Some for publication here and some so I can re assemble what I have undone.
:D
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Hey wally,

This one was a good break (is there such a thing?). It did break on the 'fatter' circlip groove (where they all go), however the clip itself remained in the CV end, so I was able to get under the clip and lever the broken piece out.

I have had some though that I've had to weld a bolt on to the broken section so I've had something to grip in order to remove the broken piece.

When traveling in these remote areas, I also carry a couple of CVs just in case it can't be removed in the field.

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”