Half shaft or other ? ? ? ? ? ?

Tim

Re: Half shaft or other ? ? ? ? ? ?

Post by Tim »

Thanks Spider I didn't realise the pot joints started so early. I forgot the autos had hardy spicers as well.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim wrote:Rubber Coupling

Hardy Spicer

Pot Joint

I'm far from certain about the changeover dates, so I won't argue with Spider. They started with the rubber couplings, then around the late '60s or early '70s changed to the metal hardy spicers (which were apparently more robust). Then about '74 or '75 went to the pot joints. In my mind (at least) the switch from hardy spicers to pots coincides with the switch from Australian assembled 1100s and remote gearboxes to UK import 998s and rod gearboxes - but I don't know if its an exact cut-off.

The Hardy Spicers are good to work on, because you can easily fit or remove the whole joint without having to split a ball joint. I don't really know how they last in comparison to the other types, I'm pretty sure they were introduced for the Cooper S. The Mokes that had them also had the thicker Cooper S driveshafts.

Tim
It probably is a 'Pot Joint'. The half shaft just slid into it.

I will have to check.
Having a moking good time!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Chances are Doug you won't have Hardy Spicers fitted to yours, they are a bit rare compared to the other two types
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Well, as my Mini Moke is not in Concours d'Elegance condition it was a trifle difficult to see - with my eyesight - under the protective covering of muck. :lol:
Having a moking good time!

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”