Can I get people's views on this please

Jamesi85

Can I get people's views on this please

Post by Jamesi85 »

Hi all the 1965 english Moke I have recently brought has a bit of čarracter and a few ware wounds and was in a classic car magazie in 2003, having been driven from Birmingham uk to Singapore for charity. some one has fitted a 1000cc engine with rod change and cut the iner wing rad sourounding out It starts and runs and drives ok so gona use for the summer and have some fun, but then I'm thinking of stripping back and restoring I have a 1970 850 mini engine with majic wond gears from a saloon but I'm not sure weather to keep engine that fitted ?fit the 850 Standerd as is and fill the new hole cut for rod change in so more origanal looking? Or maby fitt the 850 majic wond box to the 1000engine? Or fitted the 850 engine with the 1000cc head? Oh the choices lol all views welcomed
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: Can I get people's views on this please

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
I think you might as well keep the 1000cc engine, My Moke has the original 850 engine but they were low compression, hence low power. I improved it by fitting a 1000cc cylinder head to it but would have proberbly changed the whole engine to a 1000cc but my 850 is the original one. If you improve the power too much then you would need to think about putting disc brakes on the front.
As you say so many variations to think about!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Jamesi85

Post by Jamesi85 »

Yeah I'm not to wurried about speed as only really for around the villages with kids and a bit of fun just thinking when come to sell being more original would sell better
Jamesi85

Post by Jamesi85 »

Have you just fitted a standard 1000 head ? Any other mods. The 998 I have leaks oil and few other bits need sorting I could just swap the gearbox over I believe ?as It should just be a straight swap If I'm correct and swap clutch an fly wheel with it ? To keep with pre verto clutch it should have from standard to look more origanel
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

I just swaped the head, fitted electronic ignition and then had it tuned, goes a treat now. I've no idea on what gearbox fits what engine, perhaps someone else could advise?
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Jamesi85

Post by Jamesi85 »

Is that with standard carb aswell then ? Think this will be road I take as the 850 look to be a better unit Gona change oil pump and fitt the 1000 head when I strip down thanks for your input
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi,
I have a standard carb at the moment but I am looking to fit a HIF38 carb with a new inlet manifold and a Maniflow exhaust, just to improve things a little. I will let you know if it does!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Tim

Post by Tim »

Its pretty easy to fit a 998 or even a 1098 and keep it looking original. Australian 1098 Mokes used the 'direct change' gearbox (the remote box without the remote extension) the same as some of the UK vans. Later they went to the 998 (or 1275) on the rod change box, with shortened rods. Either will fit without cutting the floor and give you 4 synchro. Paint the engine in the original green, fit a single HS2 and barely anyone will pick the difference.

The 1098 is really nice in a Moke.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Whether to do the swap or not?

Well, if you did fit the 850 from the sedan, at the very least, the engine number prefix will show it not to be the original engine. The Compression ratio of the Moke engines was even lower than that of the sedans, it's a wonder they ran at all.

While the gearboxes were for the most part the same, the final dive ratio was different (3.76 for the sedan and 4.1 for the Moke) and the Moke used a unique Moke gearstick, not used on any other model. I am also sure that the sedan one does not line up with the hole in the floor. I get asked every other day for these sticks.

So, if you were thinking of doing the conversion for originality, then sorry to say, it will fall short on these items at the very least.

Personally, I wouldn't. Not only has the 850 lower performance, parts are getting quite hard to come by for them and this one engine that really needs an all syncho gearbox but wasn't fitted until after UK Moke production ceased.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Jamesi85

Post by Jamesi85 »

This is an early mk3 with 850 and Magic wond gear box. I was led to believe has 4 sycnro ? As for the box linking up think the gear stick it's self on the moke original motors have a bend on the end to line up through floor ? But I'm sure some one will no if I'm right? Thanks for ur input
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Jamesi85 wrote:This is an early mk3 with 850 and Magic wond gear box. I was led to believe has 4 sycnro ? As for the box linking up think the gear stick it's self on the moke original motors have a bend on the end to line up through floor ? But I'm sure some one will no if I'm right? Thanks for ur input
Have a look on the gearbox case, behind the oil filter, there'll be some numbers and letters cast in to it.

If it's 4 synchro, it'll be 22G1128, but just be aware, the UK Mokes were not factory fitted with them.

If it has the 'pudding stirrer' type gearstick, it will fit up through the hole in the floor.

IMO, you'd be better off sticking with the Rod Shift Gearbox as at least most parts are still available for them and have a much better life than the pudding stirrers.
Jamesi85

Post by Jamesi85 »

I'll check numbers later thanks mate, parts ain't a problem and looks to be good .it has the later type magic wand gear stick fitment I see what you say about sticking with rod type my problem if I have 2 holes in floor one origanl an one someone has cut out for new shifter looks a mess plus the 998 I have leaks like a siv oil were as 850 looks nice an sield so like chap at start of my Qs said I think I may fit the 1000head to 850 and see how it goes sorry if don't make sense lol
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Sure, gotya now ;)

The 850 and 998's used the same head.
Jamesi85

Post by Jamesi85 »

Yep checked gear box mate there the numbers on her so it is a 4 synchro magic wond gear box thanks for info

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”