'A' series engine in my Mini Moke is missing on cylinder #3

Doug G
MMC Member

'A' series engine in my Mini Moke is missing on cylinder #3

Post by Doug G »

The 'A' series engine in my Mini Moke is missing on cylinder #3.

The plug and lead have been changed, but still misses.

Looking at the distributor cap and rotor, although they were replaced 6 months ago.

The Moke has a SERIOUS OVERHEATING issue - see separate post/topic - and missing gets worse when boiling!!!! :o

My 'mechanic' also suggests replacing the engine with a Toyota engine.

Suggestions
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Re: 'A' series engine in my Mini Moke is missing on cylinder #3

Post by Tim »

Get a new mechanic would be my suggestion.

There are several reasons for a misfire on one cylinder. The most common would be to do with the spark. Spark plug, plug lead, distributor cap. Next thing to check is compression. Have a compression test done on all four cylinders. If cylinder 3 is especially low, then you'll need to work out why. The mechanic might be able to do a leakdown test to determine whether there's a faulty valve in the head, or if the problem is with the rings or cylinder.

Likewise the overheating isn't necessarily a fundamental problem with A series engines. Mine has a reasonably standard cooling system and the only time it comes close to overheating is in exceptionally hot weather when under load. I can climb a big hill on a 35°C day without any problem. A thorough overhaul of your cooling system, perhaps an uprated radiator and a check of the fuel ratio should be enough to get it under control. Spider drives his across the desert all day.

In principle I have no objection to converting a Moke to a Toyota (or some other) engine. In Australia its very expensive due to requiring the involvement of an Automotive engineer, that may, or may not be an issue where you are. Technically its not all that straight forward. There is quite a lot of lining up, mixing and matching and clever machining and fabrication to get the engine in place. Then at some stage you will need to match up 21st century technology with the 1960's. Driveshafts that mate with Moke CV hubs and Toyota diffs are one example. The other area that is usually tricky is the electrical system. Modern cars have immobilisers, digital dashboards, links between the transmission, safety lockouts etc etc all connected to the computer. All of that needs to be sorted.

So my advice is to get the A - series sorted. If it has some catastrophic problem (like a crack in the cylinder wall) its still probably cheaper to repair/ replace the A-series than to transplant a Toyota.

just my thoughts
Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Thanks Tim.

BTW How do I check the fuel-ratio ?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Fuel ratio is the same as tuning the carburettor. Its adjusted by screwing the large nut that adjusts the choke height on the underside of the carburettor. To check that the adjustment is correct you are supposed to follow a special ritual which involves pushing up a special pin on the underside of the carburettor which lifts the piston. I can't remember exactly what this is supposed to do (something to do with the engine revving up). Trouble is, its a dark art, I've never had any success with it and I'm happy to admit I couldn't tune an SU if my life depended on it. I get my mechanic to do it (and its still not quite right).

You could try a Gunson Colortune, but I've never had much luck using mine.

I'm actually looking at buying a wideband air fuel ratio meter. They aren't cheap, but mine has never really been tuned right and I think its the only hope I have of getting it right. If its too rich, it smells smoky and uses too much fuel (but runs cooler) if its too lean, legend says that it can run so hot it burns valves and melt pistons, but I think the pinking and poor running would stop you before that happened.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim wrote:Fuel ratio is the same as tuning the carburettor. Its adjusted by screwing the large nut that adjusts the choke height on the underside of the carburettor. To check that the adjustment is correct you are supposed to follow a special ritual which involves pushing up a special pin on the underside of the carburettor which lifts the piston. I can't remember exactly what this is supposed to do (something to do with the engine revving up). Trouble is, its a dark art, I've never had any success with it and I'm happy to admit I couldn't tune an SU if my life depended on it. I get my mechanic to do it (and its still not quite right).

You could try a Gunson Colortune, but I've never had much luck using mine.

I'm actually looking at buying a wideband air fuel ratio meter. They aren't cheap, but mine has never really been tuned right and I think its the only hope I have of getting it right. If its too rich, it smells smoky and uses too much fuel (but runs cooler) if its too lean, legend says that it can run so hot it burns valves and melt pistons, but I think the pinking and poor running would stop you before that happened.

Tim

I did buy a Gunson Colortune which I used and it reported that the 'tuning' was within the acceptable/recommended range. Now to search and find it, :(
Tim

Post by Tim »

Its probably a lot easier if you have a standard(ish) engine and carburettor. Mine is made up of all sorts of bits and pieces, engine is Morris 1300, carburettor came of an old Mini, carb needle is in its third (at least) car and has been filed so much its triangular in section.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim wrote:Get a new mechanic would be my suggestion.

There are several reasons for a misfire on one cylinder. The most common would be to do with the spark. Spark plug, plug lead, distributor cap. Next thing to check is compression. Have a compression test done on all four cylinders. If cylinder 3 is especially low, then you'll need to work out why. The mechanic might be able to do a leakdown test to determine whether there's a faulty valve in the head, or if the problem is with the rings or cylinder.

Likewise the overheating isn't necessarily a fundamental problem with A series engines. Mine has a reasonably standard cooling system and the only time it comes close to overheating is in exceptionally hot weather when under load. I can climb a big hill on a 35°C day without any problem. A thorough overhaul of your cooling system, perhaps an uprated radiator and a check of the fuel ratio should be enough to get it under control. Spider drives his across the desert all day. . . .
So my advice is to get the A - series sorted. If it has some catastrophic problem (like a crack in the cylinder wall) its still probably cheaper to repair/ replace the A-series than to transplant a Toyota.

just my thoughts
Tim

The mechanic has been and advised that #3 and #4 have low compression.

We have ordered a Head Gasket Set £14.56 less 20% VAT as it is being exported.

The prayer is that it is the head gasket and that it's replacement will reduce the overheating issue.

Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Also found that the top engine brace point has detached from the body.

So that has to be welded back on.

Does the list of things to do ever stop or does it set it still keep growing, even if you fix items on the list. :roll:
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

No, it never stops. It only pauses occasionally.....that's the time to make the most of it. If you want it to stop buy a new car
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

I'm hoping that I don't have to do an engine replacement. :shock:
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Well the head gasket, with associated gaskets, kit has arrived.

My mechanic is planning to take the head off next Friday. :shock:
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Pushed back until Monday.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Mini Moke at mechanic's shop.

As are the gaskets.

Awaiting the next step.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

This gasket :shock: :o :shock: has been replaced with a new one. :D

All the other gaskets have also bee replaced.

The engine runs, I mean purrs, now.

Just have to get the top engine brace re-welded and it will be time for a road test.

It would be nice to have it for Easter.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

What's the head and block look like?
Come on summer

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”