Reverse and 2nd gear

Doug G
MMC Member

Reverse and 2nd gear

Post by Doug G »

My Mini Moke keeps jumping out of 2nd gear. I can work round that and live with it.

However today it decided NOT to go into reverse gear. :shock:

It did forgo one maneuver then declined again. :(

Is there an EASY and economical fix? :D

What should I do to correct this?
Having a moking good time!
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: Reverse and 2nd gear

Post by Wally2 »

hi Doug,
Before going to the expense of taking the engine/gearbox out, have a look at the gear change, I think that wear in the bearings etc. in the gear change mechanism can give problems like you are experiencing.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Tim

Post by Tim »

Jumping out of second is not uncommon, I think it is usually caused by the gear selector fork becoming worn or spread, inside the gearbox. The part is available to replace it, but its a massive job, so most people just hold it in, or put up with it. I've occasionally had a problem with the gear change balking as it goes in to reverse, but usually, if you letthe clutch out and try again it will work.

Which gear change mechanism do you have Doug? Rod or 'direct'? Both can have reverse problems, but usually for different reasons.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:45 Jumping out of second is not uncommon, I think it is usually caused by the gear selector fork becoming worn or spread, inside the gearbox. The part is available to replace it, but its a massive job, so most people just hold it in, or put up with it. I've occasionally had a problem with the gear change balking as it goes in to reverse, but usually, if you letthe clutch out and try again it will work.

Which gear change mechanism do you have Doug? Rod or 'direct'? Both can have reverse problems, but usually for different reasons.

Tim
How do you tell the difference between 'rod' and 'direct'?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Easiest way is to look underneath. If the gear lever emerges directly from the back of the gearbox, with a metal plate underneath it, its direct. If there are a pair of short metal rods coming back to a rectangular box, immediately beneath the gear stick, its rod.

I'm pretty certain yours should be 'direct'. These are especially prone to wear in the change mechanism, like Chris suggests.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Got a link on how to fix them?

Including which bits to replace?
Tim

Post by Tim »

This link shows the bits. http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1459&start=0

Part number 22A1832, called by various names, is the bit that wears the worst.

Actually its the pin in it (and the slot in the ball on the end of the gearstick) that wear. I have replaced pins in the past, using a section cut from the end of an appropriately sized drill bit.

Replacing it is pretty easy, you have to pull out the large shaft that it pivots on.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Thanks.
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

One of Doug's earlier topics suggested that he has a rod change box.
https://www.mokeclub.org/forum/viewtopi ... =45&t=3765

I can't see those Mk1 forum pics Tim, Photobucket has hijacked them.
Dean
Tim

Post by Tim »

Oh well, in that case its probably going to get expensive :wink:

I forgot about the photobucket thing. I'm using Chrome with the Photobucket hotlink fix, it works just like the old days.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... apbifiaedg

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

IT IS FIXED!!! Well almost . . .

My chap und various bits. found that that 'pin' had been replaced before. So he inserted a 'new' one.

It was also a bit difficult to select gear and so he took to what was left of the 'spacer' and inserted one.

It was still a bit difficult and so he inserted some more.

The gearbox is now no longer like stirring a bowl of porridge.

HOWEVER there is a high pitched squeal when driving. When in 4th it is quiet.

Have to go back, maybe too large a spacer?
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

For some strange reason it was the fan belt. Go figure.

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”