How many carburettor studs?

Slow Smoke Moke

How many carburettor studs?

Post by Slow Smoke Moke »

I've been given an HIF44 carb and the flange has 4 mounting holes. Logically therefore 4 studs? However Minispares suggest you only need 3.

Any particular reason why?
Tim

Re: How many carburettor studs?

Post by Tim »

Better ask them. It sounds odd to me. The four studs are arranged in a square, so if you only fitted three it could distort and possibly not pull up flat. The 1 1/2" carbs (HIF38 and HS4) have two studs on a diagonal and the 1 3/4" (HIF44 and HS6) have 4 studs in a square, but they have the same spacing which means that the aftermarket inlet manifolds can be used with 2 studs or 4, depending on caburettor. Perhaps they think you only need to use two of the four?

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Use four.
Come on summer
Slow Smoke Moke

Thanks chaps. Sounds sense.

N
mick west

Post by mick west »

Hi, SSM,
Let me know how you get on with fitting the hs44 carb, I tried this idea, only to find the bottom of the carb fouled the bulkhead cross member! I have fitted a hs4, together with a mini sport manifold, but still the carb jet touches the cross member when the choke is operated.
Cheers, Mick West
Slow Smoke Moke

Will do Mick,

It's got a spacer fitted between it and the manifold too so this could be an interesting, expensive and doomed to failure exercise. Fingers crossed but there's a feeling of impending doom....
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Well I've got an A+ engine fitted with a hif44 on it and there's been no contact twixt carb and body
Come on summer
mick west

Post by mick west »

Well,No top,
I have a pre A series ,1093 cc, fitted with a stage one exhaust whatsit, the hs44 firmly sat on top of the cross member, so I fitted a hs4, with a wax stat fitted, the jet fouls the cross member, when the choke is operated. I have also removed the plastic spacer, so as to gain more room.I am not sure what the spacer is supposed to do?Any ideas?
Cheers, Mick West
Slow Smoke Moke

Not sure what the spacer is for, I have one too but not fitted yet. Out of interest what's the wax stat? I see plenty of references to them but never been sure what they are.....
mick west

Post by mick west »

The wax stat is fitted to the carb jet, it uses heat from the engine to adjust the mixture. Interestingly, I have just googled "wax stat on a mini, whats it for" and an amazing amount of info from a mini forum of some sort about said wax stat!
Another can of worms!!!!
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Not all carbs have a waxstat and people often replace them for a standard jet.
Waxstat equiped carb shown on the left.
Dean

Slow Smoke Moke

Thanks Dean,

Just what is the 'wax stat' though?

N
Tim

Post by Tim »

Its like a temperature sensitive choke. It changes the position of the jet depending on the temperature of the air. They came in late in the life of the HS4 carburettors, part of the emission controls.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Slow Smoke Moke

Ah right.

Thanks Tim.

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”