Engine oil risen

serieslandy65

Engine oil risen

Post by serieslandy65 »

Hi,

I recently brought my Moke over to Australia from Cyprus. When I finally received the car I checked the engine oil and it has risen. Could this have been caused by heat in the container or a new climate/atmospheric conditions? This also happened in another car I brought over. Also the Moke was strung up in the air when it changed containers in Brisbane. could that have done something.

Rory
johng
MMC Member

Re: Engine oil risen

Post by johng »

Hi Rory

Was car completely level on both occasions ?

John
serieslandy65

Post by serieslandy65 »

johng wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:47 Hi Rory

Was car completely level on both occasions ?

John
Hi John,

When it was in the first container yes completely level, well it was sat on the floor. The second container the front of the car was up in the air, only as if parked on a steep incline though. I have pics but couldn't figure out how to post them.

Rory
Tim

Post by Tim »

This can happen when the float sticks in the float chamber. Fuel can drain from the tank, through the carburettor and find its way down into the sump. It dilutes the oil and raises the level. It usually only happens when parked on a slope though. Containers get really hot in the sun, its possible that it pressurised the fuel tank and pushed fuel through.

Maybe your fuel breather is blocked. That would make it hard for the pump to suck petrol out of the tank.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
serieslandy65

Post by serieslandy65 »

Tim wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:13 This can happen when the float sticks in the float chamber. Fuel can drain from the tank, through the carburettor and find its way down into the sump. It dilutes the oil and raises the level. It usually only happens when parked on a slope though. Containers get really hot in the sun, its possible that it pressurised the fuel tank and pushed fuel through.

Maybe your fuel breather is blocked. That would make it hard for the pump to suck petrol out of the tank.

Tim
Hi Tim,

Excellent point the container would have got very hot sitting in Cyprus, Then Egypt and here for a few months. I will check this out tomorrow. Thank you very much.

Rory
johng
MMC Member

Post by johng »

Rory . If you checked oil level in the 2nd container which you said was at an angle , you will get a false reading
johng
MMC Member

Post by johng »

I missed Tim's comments and agree but should be verifiable as the oil would be diluted by the fuel and a lot thinner .
Another thought …. Is the oil clear and not contaminated with water
serieslandy65

Post by serieslandy65 »

johng wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:44 I missed Tim's comments and agree but should be verifiable as the oil would be diluted by the fuel and a lot thinner .
Another thought …. Is the oil clear and not contaminated with water
Hi,

I think it must be diluted somehow, when I drain it I will see if its thinner. At the moment I am a little too bust to sort it out. Will let you all know what happened when I get round to it if you wish.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

It wouldn’t cost you owt to drain the oil. If, as seems likely, it’s got some extra substances in the sump whatever it is would be better out than in wouldn’t it?
Come on summer
serieslandy65

Post by serieslandy65 »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 18:14 It wouldn’t cost you owt to drain the oil. If, as seems likely, it’s got some extra substances in the sump whatever it is would be better out than in wouldn’t it?
Yeah I will drain the oil, I don't run the moke at the moment anyway so shouldn't damage it. I just haven't got round to doing it yet, but I will before I get her running again.

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”