Dodgy CV joint?

frenchjohn

Dodgy CV joint?

Post by frenchjohn »

Hi all, I have just replaced the CV boot on my 1965 English Moke (850cc engine). On checking things over I have found that on full left hand lock when the wheel is rotated backwards there is something knocking. I know the answer is not to put full left hand lock on when reversing but could this be a sign of the CV joint on it's way out? It all looked fine when apart.
Also it appears to me that the wheels turn a lot more on left hand lock than they do on a right hand lock, is this normal?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Dodgy CV joint?

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Usually a knocking, or more accurately a rattling sound at full lock is a sign of the CV on the way out. How did you change the boot? Did you take the CV off the driveshaft to get it on ?
As to the wheels turning more one way than the other, that’s a bit odd as the rack will only g as far as the internal stops and should pretty much centre itself I’d have thought.....a tracking check may be in order to make sure
Come on summer
frenchjohn

Post by frenchjohn »

Hi Nigel, thanks for the reply. It's definitely not a rattle, more of a clonk that you can feel when rotating the wheel, it feels like something (possibly the CV joint) is hitting something. I changed the boot by taking the CV joint off the drive shaft.
As for the steering geometry I will have to wait for this period of confinement to be over, hopefully then I will be able to drive it anyway.
Thanks again for your reply.
chris naish

Post by chris naish »

If you've jacked the car up and rotating the wheel,whether or not the wheel is on lock, it is probably the driveshaft touching the subframe, as this is not the normal angle of drive.......
Chris Naish.
frenchjohn

Post by frenchjohn »

hi Chris, could be, the car was jacked up at the time (just realised that expression can have 2 meanings, I mean it was raised on the jack).
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Nothing to do with noises...BUT.....don’t forget, if you take the CV off the driveshaft you should always fit a new circlip into the groove on the driveshaft
Come on summer
chris naish

Post by chris naish »

Well, I'd be inclined to look on the drive shaft for a 'shiny area' having been rotated and disturbed on a solid area like the subframe to cause the grinding you are hearing.
Chris Naish.
frenchjohn

Post by frenchjohn »

Thanks for your replies, oops Nigel, didn't know about replacing the circlip, too late now I fear, next time :D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

99 times out of a hundred you’ll be fine with it. It’s that last time that’ll do for you. If you’re anything like me it’ll be about 200 miles from home when you pull out from a junction and the driveshaft pops out of the CV leaving you stranded with a driveshaft with chewed up splines and a CV looking much the same :D
Come on summer

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”