Rocker Cover Breather

rjgy

Rocker Cover Breather

Post by rjgy »

I have a 1098 Aussie moke. It has a breather on the tappet cover plate (just below exhaust manifold) and a breather on the actual rocker cover. I replaced the rocker cover with a smart new aluminium one from Minispares but with no breather pipe! Now oil is blown out of the tappet cover breather all over the N/S of the engine compartment making a real mess and lose of oil.
Any good suggestions on the best modification to the Aluminium one which will cure the problem. I have reinstalled the original cover in the meantime.
rjgy

Re: Rocker Cover Breather

Post by rjgy »

rjgy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 16:46 I have a 1098 Aussie moke. It has a breather on the tappet cover plate (just below exhaust manifold) and a breather on the actual rocker cover. I replaced the rocker cover with a smart new aluminium one from Minispares but with no breather pipe! Now oil is blown out of the tappet cover breather all over the N/S of the engine compartment making a real mess and lose of oil.
Any good suggestions on the best modification to the Aluminium one which will cure the problem. I have reinstalled the original cover in the meantime.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Are you sure the tappet chest breather isn’t blocked? On my early 850 engine it just has a bent pipe with no catch tank arrangement. I’ve had a look on the internet and you can get fancy rocker covers with the breather.
Come on summer
rjgy

Post by rjgy »

Thanks Nigel. The tappet chest breather is where the oil comes out when I put the new rocker cover on. It only throws out oil etc when the engine is being driven.
I thought that the easiest way forward would be to install a small breather onto the new cover. Would this be adequate regarding backpressure etc.
Alternative is to live with the old rocker cover installed
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

To be honest it’s not a problem I’ve ever had on any of my minis/mokes so I’m not sure where it’s going wrong for you.
Come on summer
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

The only time I have had a problem like yours, was a blocked vented cap on a standard rocker cover, put a new cap on, problem disappeared.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
rjgy

Post by rjgy »

Not sure of the way forwards now. The engine runs perfectly with breather on the Rocker Cover venting to atmosphere and a breather on the push rod cover also venting to atmosphere. I've checked that both are not blocked.
Is the way forwards be to connect both breathers and then pipe them into the bottom of the air cleaner or am I better just leaving them as they are?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

The earlier engines just vented to the atmosphere but as environmental concerns came to the fore the fumes were piped back into the engines induction system to try and keep them environmentally friendly :roll: I suppose it’s up to you, risk a bit of oil staining or risk some oily plugs
Come on summer

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”